Big Rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VinnyP666, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Avatar 115, 410 and hartke 5000

6 vote(s)
  2. Carvin RL1018: 1000W Red Line 4x10, 1x18 Stack

2 vote(s)
  3. Carvin 8 x 10 bass enclosure RL1018: 1000W

2 vote(s)
  4. other

8 vote(s)
  1. VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey

Best, meaning sound quality and reliability, etc.

I am not looking to get a " Big rig" just for the sake for get a big rig. I just want to get the most out of my money. I play all differnet typs of music, however I mostly play metal/jazz/funk.
  2. What about Avatar speakers with a Carvin head? from what I heard, Carvin has great heads for the money, but crappy cabs.
  3. Metal, funk and jazz, huh?

How bout an Ampeg SVT CL (or 70's SVT if you're lucky enough to find one), Ampeg SVT 8x10, and an Ampeg SVT 2x15? That's a pretty big rig. :D
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id wager avatar cabs arent any better than carvin cabs.
  5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Carvin?????? Avatar??????? C''s about GOOD stuff!
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I wouldn't get carvin speakers... i break it all up

cab ( I am assuming you're price range is between $400-600)
    Hartke or ampeg... don't have any experience with avater

power amp
    Carvin DCM1000/1500 or a QSC

Peavey max, ampeg svp-pro, or sansamp
  7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Or Yamaha PB-1 preamp, and possibly an E&W poweramp. And, if you're looking to save money, try to buy used (you don't really have a choice with the Yamaha preamp.)
  8. I have the Avatar 4x10 and 1x15 with Hartke 3500. Those cabs kick major azz with the 3500 and i'm sure it would sound even better with the 5000. That is the setup that will get you "the most out of your money."

Check out this thread:

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  10. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    The yamaha PB1 preamp previously mentioned would be an exellent choice if you're on a budget.
    PB1s sound good.

A poweramp of say 350watts or more @ 8 ohms with the PB1 or similar(peavey max, ADA MB1) would be the cheapest way to to get heaps of power as opposed to buying a head.

If you want new ****, have a look at sansamp bass driver or RBI with a poweramp such as Phonic max series.

11. I havn't heard many good things about those cabs.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Have you heard the cabs for yourself?usaully people tend to compare a known name to a new co.and yes sometimes the new co.may come up short but I have played out of them on sevaral occasions and they are not bad at I requested that they make me the 4x8.

If a product dosen't give me
    what I need from it,I dont use it
    thats what its all about anyway.
  13. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    My drummer uses a carvin 2x10 and 1x15 for the triggers on his kit, and I tried them out, my impression was that they were Ok, but one of my friends got an Avatar 4x10 about a week ago, and I really would have to spring for the Avatar(I know 2x10's and 4x10's are different animals) I don't dislike the Carvins, they're not bad at all really, but the Avatar 4x10 just had a more solid feel and sound to it. Many players here on TB feel the same about the Avatars(some haven't tried the Carvins), especially considering their price. I would also recommend the preamp/amp setup. The Sansamp RBI preamp and QSC RMX850 are about $600 new from musicians friend, and the sound can't be beat for that price. You can pick up the QSC even cheaper than that probably if you buy it from lord valve.
  14. Carvin cabs are not as bad as people make them out to be. They may not be the best but they are pretty good.
  15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That E&W will make that PB-1 sing!