Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big sound in a three piece situation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Jul 27, 2005.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Is there a way to compenste for lack of guitar chords during guitar solo's in a three piece situation?

Sometimes when my band play I feel like the balls completley drop out of the tune during guitar solo's.

My bass rig isn't the best at the moment I'm sure that would have something to do with it.

I know I could probably use modulation but I don't really like the way that sounds.

Is there a way to Eq my bass or make Eq adjustments for the solo? perhaps boost the lows because I wont have to cut through as much?

What can our sound engineer do to help? Bless her cotton socks but sometimes I wonder if she really knows what she's doing.

Anyways any advice would be cool :cool:

2. Play chords during the solo's? I always do when I want that sort of sound.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Filling in the gaps during a solo is more technique than gear. Depending on the tune, I may use an octave pedal that has a slight amount of octave just to fatten my sound and fill it out a bit. Aside from that, it's the dual role of the bass player in a three piece: locking with the drummer, yet being musical enough to tasefully fill in the blanks during a guitar solo. If you want an eq change, grab a preamp pedal or a Sansamp, or a Boss graphic EQ pedal.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good thought...

another idea is to use an overdrive pedal, too. also, if you have a spare guitar amp, run your bass thru that, but delete as much bass as you can for fear of blowing out the poor guitar speaker. literally acts like a second guitar.

5. On THAT thought, if you ran your bass with a Y cable, one side to a bass amp, one to an octave, then guitar amp, I bet noone would even know the difference, and wonder where the other guitarist is haha.

6. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    listen to Rage Against the Machine to get some ideas :bassist:

7. +1 on using an overdrive/distortion effect, assuming that would work with the music you play.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I actually recomend the opposite, With only 1 guitar it is crucial that the bass stand out as much as possible. That means the bass should be as little like the guitar, both musically and tonaly, as you can make it.

Overdrive will cause you to blend in more, assuming your guitarist is also distorted. This is the last thing you want in a trio lineup.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I guess it depends on the style of music, but I've got to go with the groove here. A solid groove between w/ bass and drums should be able to stand on it's own, the guitar solo is just "garnish". I am coming from a "Robin Fordish" kind of angle here so an absolutely ripping guitar solo and really meaty bass tone really helps to seal the deal. Modern Power Trio at it's best(ten years ago modern).

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting point bringing up robben,

he uses a nice dalloup of delay to fill out his lead sound when he's soloing.

Todd,

might be a good bit o' advice to pass onto your guitarist.

11. I agree with lowphat here....it really depends on the music but lets face it Tommy Shannon did not play anything other than the groove behind Stevie Ray...BUT then again it WAS Stevie Ray!!
    I have a trio and a 4 piece situation that I play in and I don't do anything other than groove with the drummer......I have a few spots that I get to show off and that is enough for me.....I consider myself more a groove/pocket player and tend to go with more of a Keep it simple stupid approach when I am playing in a smaller ensemble....there is more room to play, but if you are playing with less than stellar musicians, there is also a much bigger hole to fall into if everybody is not on the same page...LOL!!

Peace,

T

12. +1 I play regularly in a trio.... sax, bass and drums... no chords at all....ever. We also play as a duo with just sax and bass (electric bass at that!). We had a weekly 5 hour gig for a while! Talk about having to fil up space!

I end up actually playing more simply than I do in a fuller setting... has nothing to do with watts or volume and especially doesn't have anything to do with playing lot's of notes. The key is to totally know the changes of the tune and 'outline/suggest' the entire chord correctly and in time (duh!). That does NOT mean playing chords... which I typically find horrible sounding... usually a groove killer.. although there are a (very) few bassists that can pull that off.

Same things goes in a rock setting... try just grooving on the root for a while while focusing on locking with the drummer and see the guitarist and audience smile.

13. Exactly! :bassist: :cool: