Big sounds of small rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, May 11, 2002.

1. Well, I finally got the last piece of my rig together... the Aguilar GS112 just arrived and is perfectly matched to my Mesa/Boogie WalkAbout and Carvin 5 string fretless. The sound is really huge, and can be tonally shifted from quite brite and punchy to very warm and thick! It's light, powerful, and much nicer sounding than the other combinations I tried.

This took nine months and a chunk of scratch to put together... but the end result was well worth it. Best of all, not only does it make me sound better than I am, I can carry it all without blowing out my back!!!

2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Get a second GS112 and you will really be blown away:cool:

3. KB... I expect you're right about that. But at this time it would just be over-kill. My only gig is church so all I have to do is keep up with the drummer who really isn't working that hard and the keyboards and guitar.

Besides, it's a Lutheran church... I don't think they're ready for much more volume. Heck, it would be easier getting them to change from green jello than to get them to REALLY rock! :D
  4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Never underestimate those of German heritage!:D Remember the Scorpions! I wonder if they were raised Lutheran.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hallelujah~! ;)

sweet rig, muni.
  6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Yes, I second the motion for a second GS112. The two cabs together become more than the sum of their parts. Put your hands together brothers and sisters......
  7. All I can say is WOW! :D I just got back from playing 2 services and it was the first time I ever had to set the tone flat on my bass... I've always had to boost the bass and cut the treble prior. The louder you crank this rig the better it sounds... all the way down to B. Nothing sounded stressed, no farting, and no muddiness... just pure, clean and musical.

Not sure I can say enough, or even what part or parts deserve the most credit. The Aguilar speaker cab is very light, very musical and full, and handles a five string nicely. The Mesa Walkabout's tube section adds warmth to an amp that demonstrates more is less to a tee... plus at only 13lbs it's light as a feather. Lastly, my Carvin LB75PF (strung with TI Jazz Flats), sounded absolutely awesome... that fretless tone blended perfectly with the group without getting lost in the mix. :D

Not that this will really get to the right people, but; Thank You Aguilar, Thank You Mesa, and Thank You Carvin... you all deserve a pat on the back.

P.S. Happy Mother's Day!
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    always nice to hear someone who's supa happy and inspired by their tone.

I couldnt agree more about the Aguilar. simply stunning. with my Elrick 5, Demeter VTBP-201s, Stewart World 1.2, and Aguilar, praisin' the raisin! :D

9. Never thought I'd see the day... pro-sounding rigs you can throw over your shoulder. :D

I didn't realize you could get a pre and power in just 2 rack spaces... cooool! :cool:
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Congrats on the rig man, nice looking stuff you got. Aguilar makes killer bass cabs
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    welcome to the future, bro. :D
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Getting irritated, 'cuz I can't find anything on the 'net about this GS112. Nor on the Stewart World amp.:mad:
    Any ideas?
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  14. jokerjkny, do you think you could write a little on the differences between the EA iAMP 350 and your Demeter/Stewart setup? I'm thinking of buying a new rig and the both of those are at the top of my list.
  15. jokerjkny I'd be very interested in your opinion of that Stewart and how it works for you in that setup. Tidy rig!
  16. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I second cjazz's request.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not bad for less than three feet tall;)

18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, tough call. i wouldnt say one is better than the other cause they're both at the top of their game.

here's my 1000th post of this pic :p:

The EA, being solid state, is a huge tone monster in a box. at the time, i wanted a SS box cause SS seemed best suited for my funk/slap/jazz stuff. the response is so quick, but the tone's very deep and detailed for an SS box. i love it especially with my Bergantino HT112. the combo of the two two just knock me out, and preferred running it thru the bergie than my old Eden WT400. after getting my Demeter/Stewart setup, i was all set to Ebay it, but just couldnt. its like the two were made for each other. and the EQ's very versatile, and can shape your tone every which way under the sun. its also pretty ingenious the way they have it setup. you have to see it to appreciate it.

Admittedly, the Demeter / Stewart setup is my fav. clear yet fat and punchie. funny, its not as smooth as the EA, but a bit "hotter" in the upper end. not that this is bad, but i like the EA's smooth character. Yet, the D/S wins out cause of its tubey 3D-ness. as the being tube, is is about 10 lbs. heavier, but its worth it and nothing touches it in terms of tube/mosfet boxes. it came with EH tubes, and hopefully, i can get some nice NOS tubes to pull more great tone from Demeter. also, the Stewart, having no fan, is quiet as a mouse, and that's a must for me and my gigs.

on the downside, the EQ knobs arent nearly as flexible as i'd like it to be, nor do they sound like they really shape the tone in any way. only the preset "bright", "low", and "presence" buttons have any real affect on the tone shaping. but for my playing, the preset EQ options are perfect. so, unless you've got a 3 band onboard Bart preamp or something or other, i guess you'll either love it or hate it.

and, i did have lots of problems of low B buzzing and farting in the beginning (see my other posts), and figured out that the Stewart is very sensitive to the preamp's output into the power amp. I tried it with a Stewart World 600 and 1.2, and both had the same fart. Inside the Demeter, I had to lower the internal volume trim a good deal, and the buzzing went away. Yet, i was very bummed. i'm hoping that something is actually wrong so i dont have to do this, cause i feel like the box isnt putting out its 100%. but the tone's still luscious and i couldnt be happier.

either box could be an awesome setup. for my component rig choices, i loved the Demeter's hifi clarity and articulation. its like playing thru pro audio gear but not as fragile nor expensive. Aguilar, Alembic, Ampeg, etc. all make great choices if you go this route, so check 'em out. Small portable head wise, i'm in love with my EA. i had an Eden WT400, but for my style, i didnt like the way the tube made everything sound muffled. the EA is clearer and more open for me. it might be different for you, tho, so go try whatever you can get your hands on.

good luck!

nice rig!!! nice to know i'm not the only one with a "Knee-High" rig. :p luv the EA's, btw. VL110's? what kind of head is that?

OMG, you people need to stop putting up these unreal rigs. my eyes are getting tired of popping out of their sockets. :eek: :D
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thanks, jokerjkny. It's a Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600. I am loving this head, just got it in trade for my Edens. Pushes the heck out of the EA's.

What kind of rack are you using? It looks good.

20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice, bri! seems like it could bring down the house and the neighbors next door. hehe... seems really versatile too. one stop tone shoppin'. ;)

like i was tellin' the homies, its a Demeter VTBP-201s with Stewart World 1.2 in a nice and tidy SKB ATA case. light enough to drag around.

i was seriously considering the Aguilar DB750, but wanted something a little lighter. but as soon as Alex comes up with something that's less than 20 lbs. I AM ALL OVER IT! :D

oh and muni, sorry for hijackin' your thread! oi... :rolleyes: