SOLD Big stack of little amps - Phil Jones Bass Cub BG-100 and two PB-100 powered extension cabs

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by squarewave, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Price:
    20180612_223144.jpg Check out this stack. I'll sell these separately, but they are really cool together. You can choose 2, 4, or 6 speakers, depending on the gig.

There is a lot of information on these cabs here on Talkbass, so I won't try to write it all here. The bottom line is that these are really good looking cabs that have a tone that many people like and can get really loud for their size. The Cub has two inputs, including one for a mic. You can link the PB-100's to the Bass Cub, or another preamp. Each of the boxes has two 5" drivers and a 100 watt amp on board.

Check out the attached photo for a look at the controls on the Cub.

These cabs have the highest WAF (wife approval factor) and LRAF (living room acceptability factor) of any equipment I've owned. The red color is really nice, the grill cloth looks great, and they measure only 12″x 11″x 8″.

In every thread regarding the Bass Cub or PB-100, the question is asked regarding how loud they can get. Here is my recommendation regarding volume. One Cub will keep up with an acoustic guitar or two or three. Two Cubs could handle coffee shop type gig situations with a well-disciplined drummer. Three Cubs can handle large arena shows and huge outdoor gigs. Maybe not that last one, but 3 of them together can get pretty loud.

The Ampeg amp in the photo is a 1967 SB-12, to give you an idea of how small they are. Also, check out the size compared to a Jazz Bass.

Prices
    Bass Cub - $400 including shipping
    PB-100 - $325 each, or $600 for the pair, including shipping

PM or post any questions. I'm not really looking for trades right now, but you can PM me if you have trade ideas. I think I have these priced right, so let's call it firm for now.

bg100-rear-view-red.jpg bg100-red-top-view.jpg 20180612_223144.jpg

PJB Cub1.jpg

chupacerveza, RichardPjazz and Joedog like this.
  2. edbutler3

edbutler3 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Could you stack those vertically, or does the strap handle get in the way of that?

3. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    They will stack vertically, but I don’t think you’d want to do it on a gig without figuring out a way to make the skinny stack stable.

edbutler3 likes this.
  4. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    Do you have the gig bags or padded slip covers for the PB-100?

5. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Sorry I missed your question. Yes, the original covers will be included.

6. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    What are their weight each and how old are they?

7. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    They weigh 13.2 lbs each and range from 1-3 years old. They are in great condition.

iceboxbass likes this.
  8. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Sold! The whole stack is going to one guy.

chupacerveza and fenderfour like this.
  9. RSB

RSB Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good deal. Sorry I missed them. A quick question for you - can the PB100 be used without the power? IE just as an auxiliary speaker?
    thanks,
    Rob

10. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    No, only using the built in power amp.

11. RSB

RSB Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Got it, thanks!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021