BIG Strap-Button Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by David-Adler, Jun 5, 2001.

1. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey everybody !

I´ve got a gig coming up on Friday, so any QUICK help would be very appreciated !

I wanted to replace the Strap Buttons on my Fender Squier P-Bass with Schaller Straplocks, but it didn`t work (because the screw was to thin, I believe). I wanted to screw on the old strap-buttons, but that didn`t work, too (same problem). Could you give me any advice or help because of that ?

Thanks a lot !

2. Take some toothpicks and stick them in the holes. Then you break the toothpick leaving the broken piece in the hole. Repeat this if necessary. Then you can screw in your straplocks. Some people take this process further by applying Elmer's glue into the holes before screwing in the strap buttons.

Piece O' cake!
  3. Wow I thought I was the only one that did that!
  4. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I did it and it worked ! Great tip !

Thanks a holy lot !

5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Did that myself a 2 weeks ago and counting. Except I filled the entire hole left by taking out recessed Dunlop straplocks and replacing them with schallers that go on the outside of the bass. I used broken matchsticks. I also went to the hardware store and got a longer screw. Hope it holds!!!
  6. Just an FYI, I have a couple of basses that get played almost daily both with the above tooth pick solution, they have not given me a single problem since I set them up ten years ago. Also great if you are playing a steak house. :D
  7. I screw my straps on permanently with 2 1/2" screws and flat washers! These suckers dont EVER come off!
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How do you get loose from the bass? :D
  9. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I went out and bought a few .10 in., 1 1/2 in diam. rubber washers at a hardware store. I found them with the right size hole to wrap around the stock post. Then I made a single slice across so they'll open up and fit 'em on the posts on top of the strap. Yeah, I know it's not the real thing, but you can outfit a bass like that for 70 cents and have money left over for extras. My strap problems have been reduced 10 fold.