Big Stupid Board is big and stupid

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 17, 2020.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    To celebrate the first pedal I bought in over a year, and to gear up for some writing I've been doing, I decided it would be fun to build a big giant board:

Stupid Board.jpg

Then reality sunk in. Holy cow, that Novo 24 board sure takes up a lot of room in my cramped little home office! And let's face it...I really don't need 4 dirt pedals AND a VT Deluxe at my beck and call. They'll all be just fine on the shelf waiting for when I need them, and meanwhile I can probably imitate all of them with the VTD. So I tore it down 5 minutes after I built it and got sensible:

Sensible Board.jpg

That's a little more like it. And it's got the capability of getting quite weird if I need it, though only the Bass Synth Wah qualifies as weird. Not to worry...between the JohnK Animato clone and the Zoom B2 on the shelf, I have plenty of sick weirdness should the BSW not cut it.

Will probably be a good while before I can do any weirdness...I'm just now learning how to program the Alesis SR-18 drum machine I bought a couple years ago. And my new job has a big learning curve with lots of memorization of little picky things, and I'm only 3 weeks into the 12 week training program. But I've got the board ready to go and I can at least do some writing.

2. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Bass synth wah.. little funk monster when you plug a guitar through it as oppossed to bass.

I regret my PT-3 everytime I have to move it.. especially when I was using the flight case. Thankfully, a moog bag designed for the Little Phatty is a perfect fit. But I"m still tempted to get a mini expression pedal depending on how much room there might be after I finally complete my collection of SA pedals.. move to.something smaller.

If anything, once they put out a compression pedal, the fact that their pedals cover so much ground seems like a huge plus on pedal real estate.. even if the amount of time spent tweaking them can take years.

Sweet board, Jimmy.

HolmeBass and JimmyM like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, I used to have an Aftershock. Very good pedal, but in the end I like the instant gratification of turning knobs.

4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    My pedal board 20200806_173453.jpg

Rojd, jannodude, MYLOWFREQ and 5 others like this.
  5. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Nice to see a Digitech Bass Synth Wah, I haven't seen one for a while.

6. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I agree. Big board are stupid.
    I set on the Classic Junior and I won’t go bigger than that.

7. I'm surprised the OC2 is MIA. Will it live on Big Stupid Board 2?

MattZilla, WillyWonka and JimmyM like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope. It lives with someone else now. I'm using the Vintage Bass Octave instead.

thabassmon, eriky4003 and WillyWonka like this.
  9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    this is my biggest board ever.... I figure since no gigs, I may as well experiment. This is also the fewest dirt pedals I have ever had... I have a board that will hold maybe 8 pedals if gigging is ever a thing...

see if you can spot jimmys oc-2...

FFD8D45F-84CF-4781-A976-E80860916336.jpeg

DrMole, McTred, MYLOWFREQ and 6 others like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I see it! Glad it went to a good home...hope you enjoy it!

11. WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    I am, and I’m learning to use it. I had a sub-n-up I didn’t gel with.

I think I have the oc-2 nearer the correct place in the chain now.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Youse guys are mental.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Closer to the bass IMHO is always best.

maplebar, jbhaugh and WillyWonka like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Dang skippy!

15. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    My Octavbre is either first in line or after a transparent compressor.

WillyWonka and JimmyM like this.
  16. WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    right now my octave is after the envelope filter, and my compressor is after drives.

JimmyM likes this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    When I was still attending band practices, in the pre-COVID days of light, inspiration and artistic group endeavors, the Zoom B2 was my whole pedalboard. Hell, it was my whole sound, with a touch of “hit the DDT hard” special compression sauce sprinkled over it.

In the current times of darkness, despair and general pestilence, I find myself pretty entertained by its ability to crank out useful guitar and lap steel sounds too. I’m using maybe five of its 40 user-definable patch locations across three instruments, and only three sims and a couple of onboard effects*.

If this were my thread it would need to be titled “My outdated and unimpressive pedalboard is outdated and unimpressive.”

*A clean guitar sound that equals or surpasses my guitar amps still eludes me, but I haven’t given up yet. The Bassman 100, Hartke and SWR models show some promise for clean guitar but finding a combination of gain, EQ type and setting and speaker cab sim/no speaker cab sim is tricky...still, that humble little thing is deeper than it looks and useful for a lot more than spaceship ray gun sounds. And it fits in a little laptop bag with room to spare.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Looking at that Tech 21 pedal as it’s singing to me: “It’s just the board, it’s just the board, the board you want!”

JimmyM and WillyWonka like this.
  19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I'm on multiFX because my luck is such that something in that signal chain will come loose at least 1/3 of the time.

JimmyM likes this.
  20. WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    I’m calling this my treble guitar board..

I’m sure I can find a way to add it to my big stupid board.... I basically use it as a dirt pedal keeper...

FCFAAC38-1300-454B-BC69-DB2F9C4C8C22.jpeg

JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021