Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

big time for local bar band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by muddywaters, Apr 2, 2003.

1. I've been a reader for a long time but this is my first thread, we've been a band a little over 3 years and thats how long I've been a bass player. We cover Classic rock- Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Allman Bros., etc. and gig an average of twice a month. My guys are good and I'm the weak link, thats us in a nutshell. We just got asked to play for 2 hours prior to a concert leading up to major well known national artist, not on the same stage, but outdoors on a second stage. Any advise for us, this could be great and we want to make the most of it. Any input would be appreciated.
    Muddywaters

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Practice, practice, practice.

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    play Whole lotta love from Led Zepp ...

and practice practice practice ...

A lot of good rock song have easy bass line ...

Whole lotta love, Hey joe (Jimi) and many more ...

4. The practice goes without saying, when I said I was the weak link, I'm steady, just not fancy. What I'm wondering is about promotion, calling and emailing radio, newspaper, etc. or should we just ride the wave in of the concert and hope we get noticed?

5. bass27

bass27

Apr 1, 2003
    From what I've seen of this buisness, the more you focus on marketing, the less you focus on the music.....

my advice(app. street value 5 cents canadian) is to just fucus on feeling your music... then the crowd will feel it... and then they will seek you out, and so will others....

go hard or stay home!!!!:bassist:

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Word of mouth is the best thing you can probably do.

Tell everyone you talk to about the gig -- your auto mechanic, your dogwalker, they girl making your submarine sandwich, your friends, your neighbors, you gym teacher, your friend's neighbor's gym teacher...

"Oh, by the way, my band, Flabby Spatula, is opening for Engelbert Humperdinck on Saturday April 32 at the Enormodome. We do a lot of great classic rock and southern rock. If you have a chance, check us out."

If everyone in the band does that every day between now and the gig, you'll have a nice crowd there.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :D[​IMG]

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think I've been there. The last time I was at the Enormodome, they were washing the vomit off the floor with beer, though it was that Humperdinckel guy that caused it all ... so a second stage is good, avoid those Engernickel types at all costs!

Word of Mouth! < Great Band, wasn't it! >

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There are plenty of threads about gig promotion in the Band Management and Performance forum - try a search in there and see what comes up.