Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

big time gas for a maple neck p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 6, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    played a house show last night. i love my p-bass, but i wish i would have held out and waited for the maple instead of rosewood.

2. So trade it back where you bought it...I can't imagine you'd lose much on a Fender. Especially a brand new one. ESPECIALLY at the same dealer.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have had it for about 9 months. its no longer mint, plus i would have had to wait a while for a maple one anyway. i think i just wanna buy a neck. i dont even know anymore.

4. Ah, sorry man, I didn't realise...I thought maybe you had just bought it...

Yeah, you can get new necks from Mighty Mite or Warmoth or wherever, mighty mites @ 80 bucks on EBay all day long, Warmoth a tad more... :smug:

Good luck with that. Sell the rosewood neck to fund the new one.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah that was what was suggested by my guitar player but here is the problem.

i'm working on my ocd when it comes to instruments. i am having a hard enough time dealing with the fact that my new $950 instrument is easily scratched. if i got a new neck, it would have to be a fender neck or i would just go insane. i know, i'm prolly the only dufus who thinks like this, but its just me.

i think im going to try and find a fender p in good condition with maple.

6. Not retarded, you just want an entirely Fender product, no harm there at all, totally understandable.

As for the scratch issue, well, it's yours now... :D

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah i try to keep all my gear in the best shape it can, but for some reaosn my mia p is just horrid when it comes to the finish.

all my basses that i have owned i have managed to keep in really good condition for the number of years i owned them.

8. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Here is the problem, the serial number for your bass is on the neck. Change it and your bass will not be original anymore. Now the good news, you will have no problem selling the rosewood on e-bay. What is it about rosewood you don't like? The looks, sound, feel?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    mainly look and feel.

i dont think i would sell it, jus for the fact that if i kept it for 40 years, id like to still have the original neck.

i think i'll just find a used mia p on the web for a good price.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Maple necked G&L SB-1, and I while love the Black/Black with the maple neck (great look), I dislike the extra care and cleaning maple fretboards have. It's not bad, like, constantly cleaning it, but with a rosewood freboard, the dirt and grime don't show like on a maple fretboard, which is good, because I'll clean it like I should, but I'd rather be lazy, y'know?

But, the look...the look is king.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    what kind of finish is on your neck that you had to clean it alot. i can understand this if its like a music man neck where its raw. but with the p-bass i cant see how dirt gets in there, arent they usually finished on the fret board? i mean, it was on my mim strat.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, but dirt merely sits on top of the finish, as opposed to in the wood. Still looks kinda nasty after a month, but it comes out. And "a lot" is relative. "A lot" pretty much means "at all."

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah i could deal with just cleaning off the grim, it was always a pain int he butt to clean a music man neck, because it was unfinished, so i always had to pray it didnt may it down into the wood.