Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Transition...

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by NOLA Man, Oct 24, 2002.

1. NOLA Man

NOLA Man

Sep 6, 2001
    NOLA
    Mike,

I need some advice.

I am a classicaly trained upright bass player. I was trained in New Orleans, in a chamber orchestra, back when I was a kid. It was an onslaught of chamber, classical, and the like. I did that as well as taught bass until the early 90's. I found punk rock in the mid 80's but never threw down the money for an elecrtric bass. Here is my dillema:

I have been asked to join a band, here in my town. These are some old friends who are aware of my training. I have not touched a bass in 10 years. Do you have any advice for picking it back up? And more importantly, will there be a huge transition from what i remember about the upright, as apposed to an electric? I bought a cheapass Fender Bullet anda used Crate amp.

I really want to contribute to these folk's band, though there is proably nothing sadder than 35 yr olds playing hardcore punk, non the lessI want to do it, but I'm a little apprehensive.

Also, wanted to say that I got to see the Minutemen in New Orleans, in '84 or '85 with Battalion of Saints, at Tulane U. Remember that show by chance?

Thanks,

Marc B
    Bass

2. i hate to jump watt on the response, but...
    man...if you're into it, you're into it. you're never too old, or beyond it. if anything, your time away might just bring more to it: new ideas...a fresh start...something new and different.
    upright bass rules. i wish i could find a basser around here who could do the stand-up.
    good luck to ya.