Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Warm-n-Fuzzy!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mark beem, Aug 31, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Background
    I cant remember if I posted it elswhere here or not, but last April the wife of the lead singer of Lonesome Moe (Denice is her name) was in a terrible car accident while driving home from her church. She sustained severe damage physically and brain damage as well. I'm happy to say that her recovery has been miraculous!! She has surpassed all the doctor's and therapist's expectations and has almost returned to like she was before the accident. My heart really goes out to her because I know what she's been through, what she's going through, and what lies ahead of her (note: In Feb. 2000 I was hit head-on by a drunk driver which almost put me out of commission permenantly. I sustained a mulitple fracture of both my right hip and right arm. Docs told me that if the vehicle I was driving had not had an airbag I would't be typing this today.)

Here is Denice's account in her own words.

My Local Scene
    The scene where I live and play mostly leaves a lot to be desired. However, the bands that do try to eek it out here are very close and look out for one another. Almost immediately talk of a benefit for them started. The rest of us in Lonesome Moe began to try to find a way to make it all happen. We had no shortage of local bands willing to volunteer their time for it. We found a location, gathered some backline gear, and the soundguy who normally runs sound for us at our shows.

The Benefit
    Yesterday from 2pm until 2am this morning, six bands descended on a small club in Huntsville Al. called Tunes and gave their time and energy to help out another "family" member in their time of need. We asked for a $7.00 donation at the door and all who came gave willingly and generously. We (Lonesome Moe) did not play. We were there all day humping equipment and making sure the bands had everything they needed. Styles ranged from Alt. Metal to Southern Rock to Funk. It was a fantastic day!! I haven't heard what the final amount raised was, but last count was over $2000. But it wasn't all about the money. It was mostly about friends helping friends in their time of need. I don't claim to know the meaning of life. But I'm sure what happened yesterday is a part of it.