Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jazzbo, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So, I had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Big Wheel perform, for the third time. This was by far the best show.

This is to say nothing regarding Britanny Sassansdfafnanfadfn who he normally performs with, nor is it to say that Big Wheel was anything less than spectacular during any other performance.

He was playing with Ze Manel, the "African Music Legend."

Ze is the bomb. Excellent excellent music. Solid songwriting, great melodies, and amazing rhythm section, held up by Big Wheel, a drummer and percussionist.

The percussionist was very good, the whole band was awesome. The best thing I can say about Big Wheel, he is so solid. His timing is amazing. His lines are solid, fluid, the tone, articulation is great. Will is a great bassist. Listening to him is a lesson for a great number of bassists here. He not only does the stuff everyone looks for, (melodic, funky, etc), but he does the stuff people forget about, (solid rhythm, tone, attack, good form, blah blah blah), and he does it well.

If you get the chance, check out Big Wheel and Ze Manel. Unfortunately, I only got to stay halfway through the second set, but I'll be at another gig.

1. 9/20/02 - Benefit Concert for the Resource Center for Nonviolence.
    320-2 Cedar St., Santa Cruz, CA - 8pm

2. 9/21/02 - Fairfax World Music Festival
    Open Field, Fairfax, CA

3. 9/27/02 - Guinea Bissau Night
    Amnesia Night Club
    856 Valencia @19th, SF, CA - 10pm

4. 9/28/02
    Voodoo Lounge
    3492 Redwood Dr. Redway, CA - 9pm
  2. Hey Jazzbo, I agree with you one BW's playing. I saw him last thursday with Brittany. I'm gonna try to check out one of his other gigs.

so BW, when you read this, you rock man! :D
    Both my wife and mom (and me, too) had a great time watching you play.

I recommend any local area TBers check out Big Wheel at one of his gigs.
  3. I have to second...or third that! :D I just wish I could check the current gig out. My hubby and I had a great time at the gig we went to when we were in San Fran!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Wow, a thread about me?:eek: :)

Jeez, I really don't know what to say. Oh, here's something:

About time too!:mad:

Kidding, of course. Thanks to everyone who came to see me play. I don't think I have to tell anyone how great it feels to help make a great musical performance come together, but to do that and give your peers ideas (and hopefully, inspire them with the little that I have) is a high honor indeed.

Jazzbo, I am sorry to say I might not be playing with Zé Manel in his next few gigs. Mark (the drummer) and I had only had two weeks of rehearsal before that show and as you can imagine, Zé has a steady group of musicians he works with, and those will be the people who'll be playing with him in those venues (I believe they were touring in Paris with another artist on that particular week).

Zé has expressed interest in working with me in the future and I'll be attending his shows, watching the bassist (who is senegalese) like a hawk. Long story made short, I am that guy's understudy.

Playing that gig made me feel like a kid trying to reach a cookie on a high shelf. I know how high the shelf is and what's up there. I just need to grow enough to reach it comfortably. This thread is a big inspiration to reach that goal. Thanks.

Please let me know when you all are playing so I can go see (and start a thread about) you!;)

Thanks again. Please carry on.:D
  5. Wow! The way Jazzbo described the gig, it sure sounds like something I would have liked to see - right up my alley. BW, any chance you'll be doing a couple of shows in Vancouver on your upcoming tour?
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Xavier -

I don't know if Zé has any plans to go to Vancouver. If he does, I'll let you know. I highly recommend the show whovever might be on bass with him (hopefully me;) )