Bigass fretless neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Futurebass, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Which fretless bass has the biggest fattest neck?
  2. By 'biggest fattest', do you mean wide(string spacing),thick(front-to-back)or both? 4,5 or more strings?
  3. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Wide and thick, substantial. 4 string.
  4. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Probably a Warwick.
  5. I had a Warwick Thumb 4-string(bolt-on), & although the neck was thicker front-to-back than some, it was pretty slim in width- like a Jazz Bass. Every 5+ string Warwick I ever played(over a dozen)was thick, most were narrow & one was thick AND wide(wide-spaced Thumb 5 BO). I know you're not interested in 5s, etc- I'm just saying I don't agree that Wawick 4s are 'thick'.

Edit: Some P-Basses have thick necks, & most are wide. A few are fretless- there are a few on the bay right now.
  6. +1 Definitely a wish...

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely a Wish.

Warwicks win if you are looking for a production bass.
  8. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was initially turned off by the size of the Warwick neck. But it feels soooo sweet in fretless. :bassist:
  9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Guess I'm a weirdo. I have a streamer lx6 broadneck and think that the neck is comfy as all get out. Tight string spacing is for the birds.

Streamer stage I's have a 20mm spacing and I've heard others describe them as big enough to be called unwieldy. Of course, all these people are entitled to their opinion even though they are all completely wrong! :p

edit: my big 'ol 6'er is fretted, so not directly applicable I guess
  10. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Interesting that most people are saying Warwick. I made the post because I impulsively bought one (Corvette) at GC yesterday because I loved the feel of the neck. I agree with the fellow who said that it's not particularly wide at the nut, but it feels solid and as you go towards the heel it gets pretty substantial. I never thought I would buy a modern electric like that, since I usually play old Fenders and Music Man. And I haven't liked Warwick fretted basses. But the fretless just felt and sounded great. Then after taking it home it got me wondering whether there was something else similar, but even more so.

After reading some of the comments here about Wishbass, it sounds like a completely different animal.

Does anybody know if Fender ever made a fretless Telecaster bass? Now that would have a meaty neck.
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Takamine B10 fretless ABG has a big, deep upright-style neck--it's definately the biggest I've played on a 4-string fretless.

12. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Have you ever played the Ernie Ball Earthwood? If so, what's the comparison?
  13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've never played the Earthwood--sorry!