Bigger amps? Laney?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tresdirnt, Jul 1, 2001.

1. I am getting me a nice new amp. I currently have a 15watt and its not big enough. Can anyone recommend a decent sized combo? Im looking at a Laney HCM120B, (120watt) is this good? Should I go for less power to get a better sound. I need a line out. Thank you. I have about £300 (approx. $480) to spend.
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i don't know anything about laney. but for about 480 US, i'd say look at an ampeg BA115, or SWR workingman's 12...maybe a fender bassman 100. had a killer price on an ashdown 1x15 - like 399 - great deal. i'd check closeouts/specials/scratch 'n dent items at and - i've seen good deals there. also look at - they have a 160W 1x15 combo for 400 (us).

closeouts are the stuff man. a couple weeks ago, i was in a mars music store in dallas, TX, and they had an SWR Basic Black (i know they're discontinued, but this was brand new - just sittin' around for awhile) on clearance for 500 bux (us)! that's half retail. they also had an eden cxc series 2x10 combo for 500. these are just floor models that need to be moved...good deals. i don't know what stores you have around there though.

good luck
  3. The Ashdown stuff is great! The Electic Blue models are better than anything in that price range. The SWR stuff is nice as well but the Ashdowns have a warmer low end IMO
  4. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i asked the same days ago...
  6. I have the Laney BC75 combo. It's a 75 watt 1x15 combo similar to the new 75 watt and 120 watt combos.. They no longer make the BC series, the new ones are better. I've had good experience with it. If you want to play with a drummer, I suggest you get the 120. These are pretty good amps, and pretty cheap. Just try em out before you make a decision.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    when i played through a laney, i cried. But that doesn't mean you won't hate it. IMO there are a lot of better amps for $500, there are a lot better amps for $300. You may want to see the thread titled something like "Decent Club/Rehersal amp."