1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bigger, Faster, Stronger: the Side Effects of Being American

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Has anyone else seen this film? I thought it was fascinating. I couldn't help feel that it was a bit "Michael Moore" in it's presentation, but it did make some interesting points.

Your thoughts?

2. Thought it was a brilliant look at the world of Steroids. If that's the same movie o.o

3. Yep. Same film.

4. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Have any of the Americans here seen it?

5. Never heard of it but I already know I'm bigger faster and stronger :hyper:

6. Are you on the juice? The movie warned me about people like you...

:p

7. Should it be bigger, fatter and stupider?

JUST KIDDING.

:ninja:

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bigger, Faster, Benoit: the Side Effects of Being American

9. Of all the steriodized American wresters, you pick a Canadian one :rolleyes:

10. XD

11. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    I'd watch it.

But, I'll be honest: It does not sound like a good film IMHO. I know of plenty of people that do not use them and they are HUGE. But, I will agree that there are people who use them and I think it is in very poor taste.

I read the synopsis and I find disturbing how someone can think that steroid usage is part of the American dream, it does not just happen here, it is a world issue. Then again that may not be what the film is completely about (as I have not seen it).

12. That's not really the path the film takes.

It's more about the relationship steroids have with the 'American hero' - movie stars, athletes, etc - and how that conflicts with the 'drugs are bad' ethos presented by the American government. It's actually quite an interesting movie. And yes, I think it address the issues in a way that is specific to the US.

13. We have heroes? Awesome. I have a plumbing leak that needs fixing really bad. Who do I contact?

As far as actors or athletes being "heroes", I'm going to have to pass on the idea, but I don't pretend to represent the general public. The people mentioned are less heroes and more of a packaged product complete with a brand identity...much like the 2 litre of Coca-Cola in my pantry. With or without steroids and I'm not sure how the latter condition would make them moreso.

Mike

14. You aren't the target demographic. Children are.

Your point about the 'heroes' being a marketing package is right. These people are marketed as heroes.

Watch the movie. You'll see what I'm talking about.

15. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Exactly, they were packaged and fed to the American public by someone with something to gain from their fame, the nicer that package (muscles and athletic ability) the more likely they are to make them money.

I could care less how big Arnold was or how stuck Hogan was, same goes for Stallone. They are not American Heros..

These are Heros, and trust me most children in the US know that.
    [​IMG]

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I guess that Ill need to see this movie before I comment intelligently.

Unintelligently speaking, all I keep thinking is:
    "oh wonderful, yet another movie that makes us look like a country full of morons that any foreigner watching will instantaneously believe."
    but I know better. Of course :)

17. True, but how many peoople are actually buying that product? Not as many as this film appears to lead one to believe.

As you noted, I'm not the target audience. If I were interested enough to spend the time, I'm betting I could find a more educational film on the subject that didn't purport to "expose" an aspect of American culture.

Three brothers idolized Arnold and Hulk Hogan and then used steroids to look like them? Both of those facts are very sad and unsettling, but I'm not sure it's worth making a movie about.

Mike

18. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    As unethical as steroid use appears to be, the hard and fast of it is that if you were told you could take a pill to make you better at your job, you'd probably take the pill.

I don't use steroids, and I don't care for mass marketing, but I imagine if there were "steroids" that made you a better bassist/businessman/student etc., you might think of things a little bit differently.

19. With the known side effects and negative connotation (legally and socially)? No, I wouldn't.

I'm good at my job, but there are others who are better. I accept that. I perform at capacity while I'm there and get paid accordingly. I wouldn't risk health side effects, termination or legal troubles to put me at the top. You find your strengths and work with them.

Mike

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Which, in the case of most Americans, is our overwhelming sense of modesty.