1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bigger Head? Power Amp? What's the best for my situation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thinkarogadum, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    Hey guys, right now I'm running an Ampeg B1RE into an SVT210 and an SVT15. I'm also building a 15" 8 ohm speaker cabinet, and I plan on using all 3 cabs at once. However, my Ampeg head can only take a 4 ohm load. I figured I have 3 options: 1. buy a head that can run at 2 ohms 2. buy a stereo power amp and run a line from the ampeg into that 3. buy a pre/power amp setup. What do you guys reccomend?

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    It really depends on how much you want to spend.
    if you are looking for something inexpensive with a lot of power, then look into a Peavey MAX 700 or a Firebass 700 - 700 watts at 2 ohms.

If you have some spare cash then go for a pre/power set up. Maybe an Ampeg SVP-CL or an SVP-Pro and a QSC Power amp?
    You could also look into an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro or an Ampeg SVT II pro. Both can operate at 2 ohms and you will have the Ampeg tone.

Just a couple suggestions to get the ball rolling here.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    You could probably push it a little harder with more of a high output head. Also, the frequencies you are pushing might be part of the volume issue. Maybe cut the low lows a bit and focus more on mids/low mids.

4. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    I'd like to keep the cost down if I can. I figured I could get some cash from selling the Ampeg head and then put that towards something like a Kustom Groove Bass. Is there a pre/power amp setup that gives me that kind of headroom for around $600?

5. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Are you talking $600 after you sell your B1RE or before?

6. 1. Carvin B1500.

2. Used SansAmp RBI (or BBE Max, or similar) + inexpensive amp of your choice (QSC RMX? Carvin HD or DCM?)

7. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    I like the idea of the Carvin B1500, but even if I connect all 3 cabs together, that's sending about 600 watts into each cab, which is a little more than they can handle. The B800 seems like a safer bet, and it's only $429. How much can I expect to get for my Ampeg, which is only about 10 months old, is in excellent shape and comes with an SKB rack case?

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Honestly I would wait and see how the speaker cabinet turns out before buying anything.

If you want to keep costs down are you confident enough in your ability to make a cabinet thats going to sound good?

If you make something that sucks and you end up not using it that could be money wasted that you could of put towards an entire new rig which would get you more of the tone or volume that you need

Of your three choices I would take the pre power amp setup. There's no point having a the SVT with a power amp going to waste unless that is of course you really like the SVT's pre amp

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    It sounds to me like you want more power. If you like the sound of the B1RE & you really want to use 3 cabs, I would just buy another power amp and slave it for that 3rd cab. The QSC RMX series is pretty decent & inexpensive. If you are on a budget, you could look for something used. But I also agree that you should wait and see how your home made cab sounds before you do anything.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A used Crest CA6 is ~$400 and used ART Tube or TBP-1 or BDDI pre is about $200. This fits your $600 budget and gives you a lot of 2 channel whallop: 400W@8 ohms, 600W@4 ohms, 750W@2 ohms, and bridged mono 1500W@4 ohms. :hyper:

I wonder how you will balance the power needs/limits of your cabs? Having 2 cabs makes it easier, as there are only "2 mouths to feed." I also wonder if you really need the 2x10 with the two 1x15 cabs? :ninja:

11. No, it's not really. It's making a maximum of 600 W available to each cab, which is not the same thing. Having the power available doesn't mean you use it all on anything like a continuous basis.

12. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    Good point about the speaker guys. I'm hoping it will turn out to be a good sounding cab, and I would be taking a big risk by buying a larger rig not knowing what that cab will sound like. It's a ported 15" cab with a Peavey Black Widow speaker. The plans were designed by JBL, so I've really got my fingers crossed!!

13. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    I understand that those watts aren't continuous, but the price is more of an issue than how many watts my cabs can handle. At $700, the B1500 is pretty much out of the price range I wanted to stay in.