Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bigger is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Well lets see. I could go for one 4 ohm Avatar 4x10 or I could go for an 8 ohm 1x15 and another 8 ohm 4x10 (both Avatar). My Question is is bigger really better? the lone 4x10 or the complete stack? would the stack be louder? would 300 watts be enough to push those two cabs?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Get a nicer head over another cab if thats the choice, or a nicer cab over more cabs as long as you have enough volume with the cab you have, which varies from bassist to bassist.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    it would depend how you ran them, and at what ohms your amp produces 300watts. It takes about 200watts to push an electrovoice 15 8ohm. not sure on the 4x10 though.

4. depending on the head, 300W wouldl be enough to drive both cabs. depending on what your peak watts are, you may clip at high volumes.

the 15+4x10 would give more surface area, and hence be louder.

I'm with POM on this one, unless you really love the amp you've got. :)

5. Well I didn't buy either yet. I am very strongly considering the ashdown mag 300 watter. Is that a good choice? The reason I like it: its only 300 dollars. I don't have to much more to spend though on just the head.