bigger power vs quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Ok here's the deal - I been shopping around for months now! I've narrowed it down considerably (please note, this is for a very loud & heavy rock band)

for the same price I could get an EBS td650 with matching 410 and 115 cabs to run at 2 ohms

an swr megoliath 810 and a 1000watt odd head like the SVT4-PRO, Fender 800 PRO or Fender 300 Pro > (this one will cost a little more)

the thing is, will the 650 watts of the EBS through the above mentioned cabs give the same volume as a 1000 watt rig with an 810?
  2. I don't know that a 4x10 and 1x15 in general will be as loud as an 8x10, but the EBS rig should give you enough volume. The Megoliath and Fender 300 Pro would be better IMHO. A bassist I played with a couple times runs an SWR Triad and a Goliath III with a Fender 300 Pro and it is sweetness.
  3. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    +1 for the Fender 300. I finally got to hear one.. Sounds amazing, especially for loud driving rock. That's what I'm gonna get :hyper:
  4. What are the rated efficiencies of the cabs involved? 3dB is equivalent to doubling the wattage. If the 810 has 3dB lower efficiency than the 410 and the 1x15, the 1000w will be about as loud in the 810 as the 650W will be in the other setup.

5. Is the Fender 300 PRO really that loud? can those 300 all tube watts sufficiently power a 1200watt cab like the megoliath?
  6. Megoliath: 100 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 37 Hz & 13 kHz)

EBS-410 800 W RMS 4x10”+2” Specs:
    Frequency Response 70 - 18k Hz
    Sensitivity 103 dB

EBS-15H 400 W RMS 1x15” Specs:
    Frequency Response 50 - 3 k Hz
    Sensitivity 103 dB

Does that make any sense to those of you who understand these things? I've heard that the 410 + 115 combo has less cone coverage than the 810? is this a big factor considering the sensitivities of the EBS vs the SWR?
  7. Yes. The guy I played with plays music of similar or more heaviness than what your band is doing and I could hear him clearly over the Peavey 5150 halfstack and whatever the other guitarists halfstack was. Think about how many bands use an SVT or SVT-II with a sealed Ampeg 810- It will be loud enough.

btw I added 16stitch to my band's friends list, you guys sound good.
  8. Thanx cor the add DeadRBassistNJ

I guess I'll definitely have to wait for that Fender 300 to come in then before I make any decisions...

This is gonna be a way expensive rig I suspect...

well, I'll have plenty to play with till then anyways - got a compressor and a fender tbp1 comming in this week to keep me busy
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes. The 410 and the 115 together would give you about 105-106 dB @ 1W @ 1 m. The 810 would only give you 100 - and to get 6 dBs more it means needing roughly 4x the power through it.
    So the 410 and 115 are far more efficient, even with a lower-poweer head they will be louder than the 810. Bigger isn't always better.
  10. so essentially what you are saying is that the EBS setup could be louder than the 1000watt head and less efficient 810 cab?

I've heard the EBS amps are very loud for their ratings also?
  11. Yup, you get more volume for less watts, acoustic coupling of the 2 cabs ought to net you another 2-3 dB, so it would take around 2000W into the 8x10 to match the volume of the 2 other cabs combined.

12. seriously! thats madness! - see, now this is the kind of info that you just can't get from manuals or sales reps!

I never would have figured that!
  13. I wote for EBS option. The difference between 650W and 1000W is barely audible. I have EBS td650 and EBS 410. Cab specs tells that it goes from 70Hz to 18 kHz. Believe me, this cab sounds deeper than most 4x10 cabs that have lower frequency response. This is mostly due to cabinet construction; it's resonant frequency etc.
  14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Keep in mind that an 8x10 cabinet is a big rig. It's not fun to transport it around...unless you have roadies! 8x10's sound awesome, but you almost always need a second person to help out. Do you have a trailer or a van or something? Stairs are a real pain in the butt. The 4x10 + 1x15 option is easier to move, but it's deinately a different sound. IMO the dual cab setup doesn't have the same "largeness" as an 8x10 cab, but you can move it around by yourself. Just some things to keep in mind other than all the specs and numbers.
    I have the Ampeg 8x10. It sounds great, but I have to make special arangments to move it. I have to borrow a friends truck. I just recently got the Schroeder 310212. It keeps up with the Ampeg easily...and it's smaller and easier to move and fits into the back seat of my car.
  15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    they are going to be two different sounds as well- ebs stuff sounds a lot different than swr and fender stuff. plus you could always get two ebs 4x10s if you want an 8x10 (like i do) - although it will sound different
  16. I went in to buy the EBS this weekend and it had just been sold! Damn it! Oh well, I guess it'll be the ampeg or the Fender then...

No SWR heads for me, But I'm gonna check out that megoliath cab though...

Would the Fender 300 Pro through the Megoliath be loud enough do you think?
  17. Lowest powered head (300w?) and the least efficient cab of the options... and the biggest, hardest to transport cab of the bunch. Troubling.... BUT

I've never had an all tube power amp, and I understand people say 300 "tube" watts sound "louder" than 300W solid state watts. But I'd be nervous. But again, I haven't tried that, never had all tube amp, so I wouldn't take my word for that either.... They could be right.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    a fallacy. Pure and simple. 300 watts is 300 watts. The difference is that when you go beyond the ratings, a tube amp distorts in a more pleasing way. Pleasing if you're into distortion anyway. Personally I'm not. The SS amp get's harsh sounding (in general) when it clips in the power stage.

Did you consider the GK 1001 RB II ? That one is worth a listen if you were interested in the EBS. I would be leary of the F300 from a durability standpoint. I would also wave it off from a weight standpoint unless I had an Anvil case and a roadie to move it gently...
  19. Unfortunately I can't get hold of an GK equipment here in SA