bigger sound/ little bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by CQBASS, Oct 24, 2005.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Hi all, I'm in definite need of opinions. Thanks in advance. I have a 1/2 size Wilfer ply with a 39.5 string length. Right now it has Helicore hybrid mediums on it and it's flappy and unfocused. The bass has been set up by a really fine luthier. I like pretty low action which is how it's set up. I play primarily jazz and bluegrass, almost always with an amp. The E and A just drop off the map compared to the D and G. I'd be happier with a much higher tension than the heli's. They just don't have any growl or real swell to the tone. Is it possible that because of the shorter string length I should go to a heavier gauge? I don't feel like the heli's are getting the top moving and if I really dig in they wash out. I guess that about covers it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    I should also add that I think the heli's that are on there are 3/4, which probably is even lower tension with a 39.5 string length to begin with.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think you nailed the problem down with the shorter lenght.
    Try to get heavy gauge ones and see the difference.
    I don't think the fractionals are available in gauges, only the regulars. (3/4)
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Shorter length + lower tension strings + low action = recipe for flabby sound

I'd also reccomend trying heavier gauge strings.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Thanks for confirming the string length issues. Given the above parameters, what would you all recommend for a strings? I realize the subjectivity of your answers, but any suggestions would be great. I think it's going to be possible to get this bass sounding really good, but string choice is going to be the deciding factor at this point. Thanks again.

edit: after remeasuring the bass, the string length is 40 inches, or 101.6 cm. Maybe I could get a high tension 3/4 set?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would recommend Spirocore Orchestras. You can get them in a 3/4 size. I think you will find them to have a lot more sound than the Helicores.