1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bigger sounding strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Aarongermain, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Aarongermain

Aarongermain

Apr 27, 2005
    I just bought a fairly old bass, with a neck that was set a bit too low after some accident in it's past. Apparently this affects the tension and therefore the volume and brilliance of the bass. I spoke to a luthier about it and resetting the neck seems to be more costly that it is worth. Higher tension strings, apparently are better alternative. My complaint with the bass has been that it not loud or deep enough. I've been using pirastro obligatos. I briefly used animas which thickened up the sound considerably but don't bow well at all. Basically, I am looking for a deeper louder sound which bows and pizzs well. Eudoxas and olivs both look interesting but the highest tension strings seem to be Spirocore strongs. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they bow as badly as other spirocores? Do they sound too bright for my stated purpose?

2. Concider permanents. They bow well, have good pizz and fairly high tension.