Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bigger than the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jiles, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Radiohead's "Hail To The Theif". What a stellar piece of work from those lads across the pond. I'm impressed by their latest outing, as I was with Kid A, Ok Computer, and everything else they have ever put out. But my question....are they of the same calibur as the 4 lads from Liverpool. Comments welcome.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's a totally awesome piece of work, I am enjoying it greatly.

this thread prolly belongs in misc. you'll prolly get a broader and more frequent responses, a mod will probably move it soon enough.

are they the same caliber as the Beatles? that's a tough one, on the one hand, they have great songs, they are very talented musicians. But at the same time their music doesn't appeal to everyone. The magic about the beatles, was that they made pop music that was accessible to everyone, I have never met anyone that didn't like the beatles' music(well...I've met a few, but they still respect the band), and I've met some really (musically)close minded people.

3. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    The earlier Beatles work appealed to "everyone". Their early-mid 60s stuff that is. But with albums like The White Album and Abbey Road, I am sure they fell out of favor with the strictly teeny-bopper "pop" fans. Kind of like how all the kids liked Radiohead's "Creep" when it came out, but never quite got turned on to Kid A or Amnesiac.

This is a good discussion no less. I'd like to see some more insight!

4. Off the top of my head, No.

The world will never have another band as big as . . . (fill in the blank)

Its all an age thing.
    To me their will never be a band as big as Black Sabbath.

To others Britney.
    Some people don't know that this guy Ozzy was in Black Sabbath some people don't know who are the Beatles.

My parents: Elvis
    The guitar player: Hendrix
    My Sister: Mary J Blidge
    Her Husband: Miles Davis
    Their Kid: Barney

To them at this point they are all the best band in the world.

5. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    But anyone with an open mind can appreciate and equally love music from all periods of time. I dig all great music, no matter when it was made. Except for jazz. I can't get into jazz. Although I respect their prowess, jazz musicians don't do the trick for me. Except Jaco. He was a pretty nifty cat.

6. Again an age thing.
    I don't know how old you are but I hated jazz as a kid.
    Now at 37 for the last 10 years I really love jazz.

7. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Right you are. Taste changes over time. I'm in my late 20s, and if taste didn't change, I'd still be jamming out to Poison and Bon Jovi.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Excellent points. Still though, I don't really define the time periods in my life by the music I listen to. I listen to basically all of the same music I listened to 3 or 4 years ago. The thing is though, now, I have a much wider scope of things I listen to. As from 3 or 4 years from now, I'll hove an even bigger scope of things to listen to. I love music from all generes and can enjoy basically anything if it's done well. I'm always searching out new music. I'm on the net checking out rock music, I have a friend who's always introducing me to new electronic music, I'm going back in time to find good Country music, I'm checking out what's happening on the blues scene, I'm buying Jazz samplers ect. A lot of people I know basically listen to what's hot on the radio. So many times I've heard people say something like "Eww, man, I quit listening to Pearl Jam like 5 years ago" or something ignorant like that.

On the other hand, I feel that as I matured as a musician and person, so have I as a music listener. I've said this a couple times when discussing things in GI, but what I might not have enjoyed a couple of years ago, because it sounded dissonant to me back then, sounds perfectly fine to me now since I can hear deeper harmonies and melodies. (speaking of Radiohead, Paranoid Andriod was just one of those songs. When I was younger, It sounded like they were playing out of key and out of time to me)

Anyways, cool dicussion.

9. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho
    Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee
    Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

10. Its hard to judge, I think.

For one thing, the Beatles grew up in a much larger world. They were in the middle of the Cold War, there were maybe 5-10 channels on TV (being generous). And the idea of a media-driven Teen culture was new and exciting. The Beatles were flung right to the forefront of it all with immense exposure, and despite that they proved to be very creative people, not just pretty faces. When they evolved into their more experimental phase, the things they experimented with (tape manipulation, eastern music) were not new, but had not been used in a pop music format. So when they did it it was ENORMOUS.

Now, we live in a world a thousand TV channels, each playing something different, with the internet and globalization connecting all corners of the globe together. Nowadays, a musical genius in Liberal, KS can share his creation with the rest of the world through indie labels and MP3s. The music world is much more saturated, and much more jaded. Radiohead manages to trancend all of this and still make their music relevant and successfull both commercially and creatively.

Because of this, you could say that Radiohead is just as big as the Beatles, but you can't really compare either because they were each the offspring of their respective eras.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Another thing is. Now that the beatles have come and gone and left their mark, their music goes up in value and appreciation, like, now it's considered some of the best music of all time, and that's for the most part undisputed, while when it was being made there were many more critics.

it is possible that in the years to come, perhaps after radiohead is no more, their legend will live on and be praised with similar enthusiasm as the beatles.

12. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Thanks for adding to the conversation. :rolleyes:

Speaking from a musical point of view it's really all a matter of opinion. For example I think The Clash are the greatest band ever. Somebody else may think that the Beatles are the greatest band. Some may think Radiohead is the greatest band ever.

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    First, I think that some of Radiohead's members (Jonny especially) have more musicianship than all of the Beatles.

It's not really a fair comparison. The Beatles were a good pop band. Other than commercial success, I'd have a hard time even calling them a great one. Radiohead is producing meaningful, complex, progressive music that is far beyond anything the pop/rock world has ever seen.

I prefer Radiohead anyday... no question. Still, the Beatles did their thing, and that's good enough.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Were it not for the Beatles, I doubt there would ever be a Radiohead.

15. [​IMG]

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool: that about says it for me

I remember that one hit wonder Radiohead! My band did that creep song when it came out in the early 90's Are they still around?

;)

[edit]
    ok ok ok, I've heard some of their other stuff and think they're ok. but I've not felt compelled to buy, borrow or download any of their stuff, but I own 80% of the Beatles studio efforts (only listen to a couple thou... and rarely).
    [/edit]

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    [​IMG]

And, in answer to the question, no.

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Zack/Martha01?

I don't care much for either one.

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Nah, spelling/grammar is *way* too good.

20. odie

odie Supporting Member

Music related people!