1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Biggest bass "ah-ha" moment.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sixgunn, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Mine was stainless steel, round winding, electronic bass guitar strings. I didn't even know they existed till I bought a bass that had em. I used nickle plated, round winding, GHS Boomers (electronic bass guitar strings) for years and loved the way they sounded for a week or two, they blah. Dead. Never knew something lasted longer!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    dbsfgyd1, Stumbo, Honch and 3 others like this.
  2. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Realizing that the P-bass tone is the bass tone.

YMMV, IMO, BLT, etc...

tindrum, jonro, gard0300 and 30 others like this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I don't know if this is really the "biggest", but one of the first Bass Ah-Ha! moments I had was when I was 12 or 13 years old and I'd been listening to some Yes albums for maybe a year or two and it just never occurred to me that that sound Chris Squire was making came from a bass guitar. (It probably didn't even occur to me that it was Chris Squire making that sound.) I'm guessing due to the fact that A) his tone was very unique, and B) his bass lines were very unique, I just hadn't put 2 + 2 together and made that connection. And then one day I was listening to ...um, it was either The Yes Album or Fragile ...and it suddenly clicked. I literally had an Ah-Ha! moment when I realized "holy crap, that's the bass!"

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Aug 11, 2012
    Upstate NY, USA
    As a young bassist, I used to think my job was to approach every gig with intense focus on perfectly precise playing. I can remember one gig, an outdoor festival where my band was the only originals band on the bill, and the audience was simply not into it. I remember thinking to myself "screw it, I'm not going to go crazy trying to be perfect on this gig. I'm just going to relax and have fun playing with my friends". Once I stopped trying so hard and just sort of let go, I felt something interesting happen. The music started to feel really good, in a way I hadn't ever experienced before. It's a phenomenon we bassists know as "groove", and I had just found it for the first time.

whbjr, iceboxbass, msg63b and 64 others like this.
  5. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    That's a fantastic moment!!

6. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    "Ah - Ha" moment: When I saw a Gary Willis video on YouTube talking about differences in note volumes and how they create dynamic... started doing the exercise he was teaching and suddenly it clicked...

I know, I know... its so obvious to many but for me that I was self-taught at that time, it was as the whole sky would open up and Gods light was coming down to me.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not so much a single ah-ha moment, but some time over the last 5 years, I've started to notice more and more often the note I'm "hearing in my mind's ear" comes out my fingers without too much thinking about it. Been struggling for years to get this to start happening, now to keep pushing until it's fully automatic.

8. ShayEM

ShayEM

Sep 12, 2017
    Circle of Fifth's

tindrum, Bassbeater, Loring and 8 others like this.
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Jaco.

wapana, REV, smtp4me and 3 others like this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    When I realized you could also use your middle finger to pluck, yes I was a total newb.

When I realized you can pinch two strings together for power chords.

The first time I picked up my current Premium Ibáñez I had a Ah-Hah! moment

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    Sixgunn, Lvjoebass and alesreaper9 like this.
  11. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    After 45 years of no bass and grinding at my career. When I retired I rediscovered my passion and JACO and Weather Report. I'm back in it with a passion I have not had since I was 12....Im 68 now!

12. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    A recent ephithnay has been, the more I improve on my music ability the more I fall in love with the instrument I am playing. Once again is it the arrow or the Indian?. I keep searching for a bass that will make me play like Jaco, Stanley and Marcus. Havent found it yet

13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    No matter what materials a bass is made from... or how its put together... or the variety of tones it can supposedly achieve... or how good it looks... or what color it is... or how cool it is... or how expensive it is... or who made it... or where it was made... or what famed bassist plays the same model... or whatever -- some basses simply sound like poop in the studio.

All that... plus there's a number of very good reasons we've all seen and read about so many old bone stock Fenders with one-piece maple necks and passive pickups being used in recording studios for decades. :smug:

iceboxbass, tindrum, Socobass and 6 others like this.
  14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Turning down the bass knob.

15. When I played my first note.

More recently, leather picks compiled with palm muting.

16. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Several for me:
    1. Actually, the very first time I played an electric bass. It was so powerful, and I could feel each note. It was awesome. I've since quit playing guitar, drums, and trumpet in favor of bass. I've never looked back.
    2. The first time I played an all-tube amp. I had been trying for years to make my amp sound a certain way. The first time I plugged into one, I was thinking, "THIS is the sound I've been searching for all this time!"
    3. Trying a bunch of basses, never finding the tone I wanted, selling a bunch of basses, then picking up my old jazz bass and realizing that I just like jazz basses more than other basses. That was a big one.

17. When I realized you had the same notes two strings down and two frets over.

18. a-ha didn't have a bass player. It was all keyboards...

:thumbsup::roflmao::hyper:

19. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I had been playing bass for probably four years. Our band was opening for a more established act at a big local bar. I think I was 18 years old. Anyway, we were all in the dressing room together getting loose and ready to play. I kind of knew the guitarist from the other band and we were shooting the bull. He was checking out my left-handed Rick and asking how I liked it. I told him I was a getting a good sound but was probably going to buy something else. He asked why and I told him that the strings weren't quite close enough to the fretboard for my liking...that's why I got rid of my last bass. He started laughing like I was kidding around. I was like, "what's so funny"? At that point he realized that I didn't know you could adjust the action. He just couldn't believe it. He got me up to speed and even taught me about intonation. Changed my whole game.

20. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Locking in with a great drummer ...the sum is greater than the individual contribution.
    (was about 40 years ago, and it still works)

Honorary mention to:
    Jaco
    NHOP
    Gary Karr

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017