biggest bass dissapoinment over $2,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabee, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Just curious what basses people have played that cost a good chunk of money,yet were dissappointing. For me i would have to say Fodera. I played two and i was baffled that sound wise it sounded like your average priced bass. Naturally the wood and construction is beautiful,but to pay a price that like it damn well better have a signature sound..and they didnt.
  2. I played some expensive Pedullas that didn't impress me one bit. I've also played some pricey Warwicks that I didn't care for, but Warwick can be a little hit and miss as far as tone goes.
  3. kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    90´s Tobias Killer-B 5. Great sound, nice neck profile, fantastic looks, BUT: a twisted-beyond-repair neck. Had to return it to the shop i bought it from...
  4. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I played a NYC Sadowsky that had multiple dead spots on the neck (near as many as the average MIM Fender), the pickups sucked out the natural tone of the bass, the pre didn't do anything but add some bass or treble - no character at all, the tuners were coming loose, and the finish looked like crap. I can't believe you guys pay well in excess of three grand for these things, it was set up like crap and played worse than most basses at Guitar Center!

:D Just kidding. I guess I went a bit too overboard to be believeable, anyway.
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've played multiple expensive basses not worth it. The biggest would be Warrior 5. It had a soulless tone with little character and a whole lot of harshness. Didn't play too well either. I also played an Alembic 4 of some kind that had a decent finger-funk tone, but it could get anything else with the tone knob up. It was EXTREMELY old, mind you.

I've played Pedulla's that didn't really do much for me. The tone was very distant. A Vintage '62 Fender Jazz Bass. It was the real thing and the tone wasn't as good as my Rondo '62...Seriously. I've played multiple Post-Gibson Tobias basses that were crap, but I've also played a lot of excellent Pre-Gibson ones and even a couple posts.

Just goes to show that basses don't need to be expensive to get the tone you need. However, I crave an MTD 535 and that's about as expensive as you can reasonably get.

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'd like to second the comment over Fodera. The tone just does not justify the price. I a/b'd my MTD 535 against an emperor 5, and it did not sound 3000 dollars better than my bass. However, I know that alot of Fodera players go for the playability, which was superb by the way, that is if you like ultra low action with no buzzing. With anything though, its only as good as the player behind it.
  7. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, here's where I get my head handed to me, but the MM Stingray. It reminded me of a Peavey I played one night about 20 years ago. Heavy, too thick unfinished neck - feels like you're playing a tree you just cut down. And the active electronics....not for me - no warmth at all out of this bass for me.

Different strokes ya know?

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Isn't there already a "Worst High End Bass You've Ever Played" thread?
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yeah, but a lot of the basses listed in it are not high end- the majority of them aren't even over $2000.

Not a high-end $2000+ bass.