Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Biggest Bass Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Apr 23, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    This is in no way intended to slag off any basses but have you ever wanted a bass real bad, only to be seriously dissapointed once you tried it?
    My experience was with a MM sub 4. Not the most expensive bass in the world but I really liked the look and the sound....actually I liked everything about it, except the feel.

Next........

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive never played it but alot of people have expressed horrible letdown from the fly bass. I can say its about the uglies bass ive ever seen, and it was hyped for years. The PRS basses are a pretty big letdown, especially for the money.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Every BC Rich I've ever played. I had a none-too-happy warwick expirience as well.

4. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    I remember the first time I played a Warwick at Guitar Center. Very dissapointed, though I think it would have been awesome with a decent setup and new strings. Guitar Center are all weenies.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rickenbacker 4003 S/5. Rics 1st five string. The biggest and most expensive let down I've ever experienced.

-Bazz-

6. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    Toby 5 - no balls at all

7. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    That must have been the case... I own a Thumb 4 NT, a Vampyre LTD and a Rockbass Fortress 4... all of them are absolutely awesome! ;)

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hamer Velocity 4-stringer, with the two jazz-style pickups. Tried the one that the bassist for a band I was recording was using. I had seen them online and thought it could be a nice fretted bass for jazz. Tried it, and it was a cumbersome, heavy, snarly rock bass. So then I got my Carvin, and now I'm happy :)

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yamaha BB2005

It was like anvils slamming on concrete. :p

10. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Gibson Thunderbird.

Nikki Sixx is my favorite player of all time (not my favorite in terms of technical ability, but he can't be touched for "Rockstar" factor) and when I finally played one I realized they are great for him, horrible for me.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Normally I love everything Rickenbacker, but yeah, I couldn't connect with those 5-strings. The spacing was way too tight for me.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    For me it was the Spector Euro 4 LX. :(

13. Ya,for me it is my present bass,an Ibanez Sr 500.What a piece of ****.I bought it off E bay.God I hate Ibanez.Wellmy fault I wanted a Fender American Deluxe Jazz or precision,but didn't have the money,so I settled.Joe

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Depends on what is meant by "bad." Is it that an expensive bass you tried felt more fragile than your beater? Is it that a bass you had your heart set on for a while was a great bass but completely uncomfortable in your hands?

So many factors can go into disappoint, such as:
    -preconceived notions of a particular instrument

-The footnote to the above is name brand. Some brands make excellent guitars but lousy basses. Some brands make killer 4-strings but lousy ERBs. Etc.

-whether the store takes good care of its merchandise or not

-what constitutes a comfortable feel for you

-tone. Was it a completely dead tone, or was it a decent tone but just not "your" tone?

I'm sure there are more factors to be thought of. Either way, I'm not sure if I've ever been disappointed by a 'good' bass. I've been let down by cheapies, but that's almost a given.

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I agree 100%. In my case it was the playability that was the issue. Setup was fine but I did not find the neck that comfortable ( totally subjective).

16. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Pre EB MM Stingray. Looked great, felt great but I the lack of punch, string to string imbalance and noisy electronics were too much to deal with. For me, it was a disappointment because I had heard so many good things about these basses.

17. Am I wrong for thinking that that description actually sounds pretty cool?

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Tobias Killer B. I really really wanted one until I played one. GAS cured.

Peace,

James

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

Same here...I love pretty much everything about rics. Playing a Dlx Jazz V now but still have a soft spot for rics. Yeah...that spacing on the 4003 S/5 is ridiculously tight...unplayable if you ask me.
    -Bazz-

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Most of them. The biggest that comes to mind, though, would be a Warwick Buzzard, I had been wanting to try one for ages. Not a terrible bass, but it didn't balance all that well, neck was too thick for my tastes, and the tone wasn't my cup of tea.