1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Biggest. Bottom. Ever. (EBS content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sid Fang, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    So I took advantage of a Christmas discount to upgrade the power amp in my "big rig" to a Crown XLS 1502, where I could set the sensitivity to 0.775v, more appropriate for the EBS-1's output. Mother of God. The bottom end on this rig is tight and accurate but HUGE. In a different class from any rig I've used before. Makes my SVT sound tentative and wheezy.

EBSstack.JPG I measured >100 dB six feet away, with the power amp controls at noon. I think you could kill small animals with it if you dimed it.

Strictly modern, though. If I want grind, I gotta use a pedal.

[Cue Spinal Tap]

murphy, moogieotter, scuzzy and 5 others like this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Looks awesome!

Owning an SVT-CL 810 rig, I've have to hear them side-beside (and your modern description tells a little) to believe the comparison, but that's not to take anything whatsoever from that rig. I'm quite sure it's no less than monstrous!

That combination with the Crown power amp should be devastating, no doubt. Enjoy!

3. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Wow, that’s kick ass Sid. I recently picked up the EBS-1 V2 and also the matching power amp, the EP 800. The EP in these times is way underpowered and I’m going to be using a QSC PLX 3602. So far, the Pre kicks serious ass over my fafner with my active basses. Much more punch and it’s very tight. Can’t wait to try it with the new power amp. This ones a keeper. :thumbsup:

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sid, I beg to differ... a pic of Beyonce's back side graced the annals of this forum, recently, and your's is no disgrace.

BrentSimons, murphy and kasroc like this.
  5. I'm an EBS pedal man but never taken the plunge with their amps/speakers.....yet.
    We have another bit of commonality in that we both play Status Streamlines. They're almost acoustically perfect, so the over/undertones are superb when matched up with a good amp system.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    kasroc likes this.
  7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    kasroc likes this.
  8. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The Crown XLS 1500, the predecessor of the 1502, was hard-wired to accept the higher voltage swings - better safe than distorted, I guess. The XLS 1502 allows the higher sensitivity (0.775) to be set. Don't know if you followed the link to the EBS manual, but it calls out DIP switch settings for either +4 dBm or -30 dBm (!) output levels. Note that it's called out "dBm", not "dBu", but dBm is an archaic metric that assumes 600 Ohm loads (which are not the case here). I haven't put the output on an oscilloscope. I can only say that running the EBS-1 into the XLS1500, while loud, was less so than expected, and replacing it with the XLS1502 @ .775 created amazing loudness without distortion (until I drove one of the cabs to farting).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    kasroc and chadds like this.
  9. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Yes, I have no problem with the output as well driving a QSC PLX 3602. If anything I have to turn down the output volume on the pre with active basses. Great setup.