1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Biggest selling vinyl albums and 45s of 2016

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Biggest selling vinyl albums and 45s of 2016

The Official Top 40 biggest selling vinyl albums of 2016
    1 BLACKSTAR DAVID BOWIE
    2 BACK TO BLACK AMY WINEHOUSE
    3 A MOON SHAPED POOL RADIOHEAD
    4 RUMOURS FLEETWOOD MAC
    5 GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - AWESOME MIX 1 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
    6 LEGEND BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS
    7 THE STONE ROSES STONE ROSES
    8 PURPLE RAIN - OST PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION
    9 25 ADELE
    10 EVERYTHING YOU'VE COME TO EXPECT LAST SHADOW PUPPETS
    11 I LIKE IT WHEN YOU SLEEP FOR YOU ARE SO 1975
    12 SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND BEATLES
    13 NOTHING HAS CHANGED - THE VERY BEST OF DAVID BOWIE
    14 THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST DAVID BOWIE
    15 PULP FICTION ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK
    16 NEVERMIND NIRVANA
    17 HUNKY DORY DAVID BOWIE
    18 HOTEL CALIFORNIA EAGLES
    19 ELLIPSIS BIFFY CLYRO
    20 THE QUEEN IS DEAD SMITHS
    21 ABBEY ROAD BEATLES
    22 FOUR SYMBOLS LED ZEPPELIN
    23 AM ARCTIC MONKEYS
    24 UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK NIRVANA
    25 CHANGESONEBOWIE DAVID BOWIE
    26 LONDON CALLING CLASH
    27 THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD DAVID BOWIE
    28 WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORY OASIS
    29 APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION GUNS N' ROSES
    30 DEFINITELY MAYBE OASIS
    31 A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS COLDPLAY
    32 THE RIDE CATFISH & THE BOTTLEMEN
    33 HATFUL OF HOLLOW SMITHS
    34 PET SOUNDS BEACH BOYS
    35 POST POP DEPRESSION IGGY POP
    36 WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM THAT'S WHAT I'M ARCTIC MONKEYS
    37 SKELETON TREE NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS
    38 IF I CAN DREAM ELVIS PRESLEY
    39 THE BALCONY CATFISH & THE BOTTLEMEN
    40 LED ZEPPELIN 2 LED ZEPPELIN

The Official Top 20 biggest selling vinyl singles of 2016
    1 ALL FOR ONE STONE ROSES
    2 BEAUTIFUL THING STONE ROSES
    3 TVC 15 DAVID BOWIE
    4 REAPERS MUSE
    5 THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE JEFF BUCKLEY
    6 GOLDEN YEARS DAVID BOWIE
    7 EL MEXICANO NOEL GALLAGHER'S HIGH FLYING
    8 A DESIGN FOR LIFE MANIC STREET PREACHERS
    9 A CHANGE OF HEART 1975
    10 RITUAL SPIRIT MASSIVE ATTACK FT AZEKEL
    11 RAIN FOALS
    12 SPACE ODDITY DAVID BOWIE
    13 OBLIVIUS STROKES
    14 100 DEGREES KYLIE MINOGUE & DANNII MINOGUE
    15 GOD ONLY KNOWS BEACH BOYS
    16 THE OTHER SIDE PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCASTING
    17 FAME DAVID BOWIE
    18 MELANCHOLY MOOD BOB DYLAN
    19 GANGSTERVILLE JOE STRUMMER
    20 INNER SANCTUM PET SHOP BOYS

jmattis and fretter like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Were these NEW vinyl record sales? As in, Rumors is still available on vinyl NEW?

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Yes, new vinyl record sales.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    These new vinyl LPs are not cheap, either...neither are the used versions.

markjazzbassist and GregC like this.
  6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Vinyl is a major investment these days, as are good turntables. So it makes sense that older releases that people already know they like are dominating the charts. And of course, older folks tend to have more disposable income.

7. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I would bet money that if all bands rereleased their back catalogs in vinyl again, people would snap them up. they could generate income without making new music.

8. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Vinyl is an investment in terms of spending money to buy it. If you look on Ebay, however, used vinyl records are not moving, for the most part. The purchases seem to be mostly impulse buys and collectors with VAS who want every edition.

9. Rush has been re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl now for the last few years, often in cool box sets with lots of extras. I picked up their first album on vinyl last year, which I only ever had on CD, and it came in a box with a cool band family tree that showed every person who was ever in Rush, including people you never heard of who played in Alex Lifeson's bedroom band days, what bands they came from and whart bands they went on to join, as well as Hadrian, the band Lifeson briefly started when it looked like Rush was gonna break up. Great stuff for the fans.

The newer vinyl is often thicker and better quality than the older stuff, which helps justify the higher price.

If you're into stoner/doom/psychedelic rock a good place to look for limited releases with color disks and so forth is All That is Heavy - Vinyl Records, CDs, DVDs, T-Shirts

Also, this is a cool site for that kind of stuff: Exclusive Vinyl | Newbury Comics

And for "ordinary" vinyl Amazon will do. Also, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble Bookstore has it.

47th Street likes this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Fortunately, we still have several vinyl only stores around town here in Seattle. New vinyl is pretty expensive, but overall much better quality than the flexibly thin masses of crap that was coming out in the 80's, when it first fell out of favor. I have a lot of older pressings from late 60's-70's bands that are thicker like that, and play well despite looking horribly scuffed and scratched in places.

I can't remember the last time i played a cd that wasn't in my car ... they're pretty much dead to me. And don't get me started on those newfangled MP3s & whatnot :rage: (though, i do listen to a lot of them on my phone ... often with an external speaker for acceptable BASS response.)

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I still have over 5,000 vinyl records in my collection with stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s. Many of them will never be released on CDs or other formats. Quite a number of my records are very collectible limited edition pressings, picture discs, shaped records, colored vinyl, promotional copies, etc. I used to be a record dealer at record conventions and leaned toward unusual stuff. If anybody is looking for something on vinyl, let me know. I also have friends who have large vinyl collections.

Spectrum and catcauphonic like this.
  12. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I bought one of the new vinyl copies of Rumors this year. 180 gram vinyl would have been nice, but I'm glad to have it in my small bin.

13. I recently just got into vinyl myself. I have only a few in my collection, and I don't have a fancy setup, but I'm enjoying every bit of it.

I'm also not surprised to see AM by Arctic Monkeys on this list; my girlfriend is obsessed with this album and I've heard it probably 2 times a day for the last 3 months. I really recommend giving it a listen if that's your type of music. That album has something for everyone.

Edit: the real MVP's are the labels that give a free digital download with their vinyl. I hate buying an album twice, so it's nice to get two usable copies for a tiny bit more than what the CD would cost anyway.

Spectrum likes this.
  14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I just got back into vinyl after a hiatus of several years, and enjoying it even more than I expected. I've reinstated much of my old record collection, and most of it plays surprisingly well. The new stuff is also very good, and it's good to see a lot of the old stuff being re- released on better vinyl than the original records had. Digital music and streaming also definitely has its place in my life, CD's not so much any more.

15. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Not questioning the list, but this is according to what source?

16. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Good to see Arctic Monkeys debut still doing well. It was an instant classic often overlooked in the states.

17. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    I started with 8 track tapes (I remember getting my first copy of the Monkees on 8 track to play in mom's '67 Olds Toronado). The 8 tracks were replaced with vinyl. I got rid of all my vinyl a long time ago and replaced it all with cassette tape. Tossed out the cassettes and replaced them with CD. Replaced some of the CDs with mp3. I refuse to purchase the same music AGAIN on vinyl. I'm jumping right back to 8 track tapes.

Londo Molari likes this.
  18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I had no idea vinyl 45s are still being made.

19. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Anyone know how many of each were sold ?

20. In my experience, most of my older, thinner lps sound as good, if not better, than the reissues. Folks seem to equate the weight of the vinyl with quaity but that's utter nonsense. Too many other vriables figure into the equation.

I have bought way too many audiophile quality reissues in the 180 to 220 weight range only to be totally disappointed by warpage and noisy pressings.

I was a vinylphile who amassed many thousands of lps, with futuristic-looking tables, tubed preamps, RCM using only lab grade water for cleaning and a holy robe I put on before sitting in the sweet spot.

Nowadays, I stream from Apple Music. Go figure.