Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Biggest Sporting event of the Year starts today!! Rugby World Cup!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Australia

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Argentina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ireland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Romania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Namibia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. France

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Scotland

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Fiji

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. Japan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. USA

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  11. South Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. England

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  13. Samoa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Georgia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Uruguay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. New Zealand

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  17. Wales

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  18. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Tonga

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - I saw bits of the opening ceremony from Australia, where they were saying about how this is the biggest sporting event of year in the whole world!!

USA even have a team involved - so how do you think they will do......? :meh:

Anyway - England to win of course!! :D

But who do you think will win?

Just so long as it's not Australia!! ;)

http://www.rugby2003.com.au/

2. So does this mean you wont be spending as much time on Talkbass Bruce?

QUICK!! To the Posting Mobile! :p

:D:D

Merls

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A poll started by Bruce? :p

Now I can die happy. :D

4. Yes he posted a Poll.. next he'll be posting up about how this girl he liked right dumped him and like he is really upset coz like he cant talk to her like now like anymore... ;)

Merls

5. Bruce Lindfield

No votes for the Aussies yet then!!

Even though they're doing farily well against the Argies! ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Oh well - first game over - not that good - shame about the serious injury - I hope that guy recovers - they are saying he is still unconscious in hospital! :(

7. Inthepocket

Inthepocket

Oct 3, 2003
    I'll give one to the wallabies ...anyone but the poms;)

Pretty ordinary game i thought .....we had the chance to put them to the sword many times, but the handling errors were killing us.........Giffin got smashed ...i hope he's ok, it didnt look good at all!

....but it was just a jog around the park really ....we'll be hitting our straps come quarter finals time;)

the poms and the all-blacks are definitely looking sharp though...

8. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    This is probably the biggest drag about moving back to the US. It is virtually impossible to follow rugby.

I think the English have a great shot to win. When you figure that Wilkinson is worth 15 automatic points the minute he steps on the pitch, it is a huge advantage.

9. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - it was really brought home in the Australia-Argentina game - if Argentina had kicked all their penalties, they woudl have been even!

England can win most games without even needing to score tries - but we also have the fastest and most under-rated wingers in Ben Cohen and Jason Robinson!

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Fiji looks good this year.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well - they're certainly better than the USA ! ;)

But they've never produced consistent enough displays to win games, despite their obvious flair.

12. i have to go with england on this one, they have a big chip on thier shoulder since the 99 cup and i would bet they are going out with a plan to win

the cup starting this week, also gives me a major boost going into my match this weekend in our big rivalry game, St. Michaels College (Burlington VT) v. Middlebury College (Middlebury VT)

wish me luck

and even though i know we have no shot at the cup, go USA

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm telling you, put your money on Figi.

14. Since when did the USA have a rugby team? :eek:

One thing I love about World Cups (football/soccer, rugby, etc.) is that the USA is one of the underdogs.....watching the USA stomp every other country in basketball gets a little old :meh:

15. I vote Tonga.

Merls

16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    How did I miss this thread!?<BR><BR><BR>Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi! Oi! Oi!<BR><BR><BR>I think Merls is right: the Wallabies are on the way up but the All Blacks and the Poms are looking extremely threatening.<BR><BR>The Argentine game was promising and frustrating at the same time: lots of good signs but we let ourselves down with basic handling errors and the like far too often.<BR><BR>Went to the Wales v Canada game last night. The Canadians went down valiantly but the outcome was never really in doubt.<BR><BR>I'm never sure how to punctuate the 'Aussie' chant I typed at the top of this post :(

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I voted for England. They've been in great form. And it will be nice to see the poor gits win something besides the toss for a change
    ;)

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well...England have got most votes here and they got the biggest victory of the tournament so far, yesterday!

But their big test will come next weekend when they play South Africa - should be the best game of the opening rounds - but if England win it will show they are on course....!! :)

[PS I don't know why Jazzbo is obsessed with Fiji - especially as he doesn't seem to be able to spell it! ;) - but losing 61-18 to France highlighted their problems - they'll still beat USA though!! :D )

19. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>The Georgian pack held you guys up pretty well....for the first 5 minutes or so :p. Looking forward to the game against the Boks....will be a good litmus test methinks.<BR><BR>P.S I think Fiji will beat the Yanks as well, Jazzbo ;)

20. I think it will come down to a New Zealand vs England final, though i'm going for the Wallabies. France are a dark horse though, they've beaten England the last two times they played.

Bassis