Biggest used stock in New York?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Barcza, May 1, 2005.

1. Barcza

May 1, 2005
    I'm living in europe. Maybe I go to visit New York, and I like to buy a really good bass. I intrested a used deal. My question: If you have just few days in New York, which store recomended to check for trying numerous used basses and have a chance to find the "real one"!

(sorry i am not native english) :help:
  2. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    40th street would be nice, i guess samash is there.
    but the most important is to ask local musicians around, they know where to get good deals
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Take a gander up to 48th Street between I think 7th and 8th Ave. You have Manny's, Sam Ash and Rudy's up there. The first two are owned by the same but they have some sweet vintage gear usually, mostly in Manny's. Rudy's is perfect if you're looking to go high end boutique.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    30th street guitars between 7th and 8th ave (I think) has all the goodies along with decent prices :) By far the best place to look for something used without the big mega corporate store where no one cares traffic. lots of different stuff there.
  5. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    1+++ on 30th Street. It's the best place I've found in Manhattan for vintage stuff so far. Basses are upstairs, BTW.

I'd pass on 48th Street for used stuff, personally. Lots of stores mushed together on one block, but I wouldn't exactly call Sam Ash, Manny's, and Rudy's a hotbed for used stuff. I always consider their stock & trade as new merch.
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    nyc is so overpriced, but not as bad as europe.
    think about the overhead you pay for in your purchase
    on their real estate(being from the dc area, i'm spoiled as we have the most abundant and cheapest gear in the world, as far as i've seen, and i tour internationally for a living and stop at every store i see on the way)
    i love to try out stuff up there, but i usually go to nyc to sell
    sorry to seem so negative, but if you don't mind shipping, alot of great retailers here in the u.s. have satisfaction guarantees.
    but i do understand it might be more depending on where you're shipping to.
    unless you wanna drop 7k on a ritter at rudys(i'd like to!)
    check out rogues music(10th floor i believe)across from 30th street guitars, they have great prices on used stuff for nyc..
    30th street is pricey but great, seen a few carl thompsons over the years in there
    good luck and happy hunting
  7. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    30th street does have some nice stuff, and they stock a lot more used basses than most stores, but I wouldn't say they have "decent prices." I went in there a while ago looking to see if they had any old Gibsons, and yes they do, several in fact; but $1400 for a refinished mid-seventies EB-3L with a broken bridge is completely ridiculous IMO. I just saw a better one on ebay sell for $900. There were also couple of EB-2s as well going for about $1200 if I remember right.

If there is a store in NY with vintage stock at sane prices, I wish somebody would tell me where it is!

I'd give Mojo a call, (212) 260-7751, it's tiny and doesn't usually have much stock but they are friendly and the prices were OK last time i was there.
  8. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    I don't know if they'll have something used when you'll get there, don't know about your financial possibilities, don't even know if you like J-styled instruments but I can't even imagine a tryp to NYC without a visit at Roger Sadowsky's shop in Jay Street.
    You'll have the chance to play some of the best basses around dealing with very nice, competent, professional people.
  9. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I live about 40 minutes from the city and I would say the best thing to do would be to hit up 48th street and go to Mannys and Sam Ash. Also Chelsea guitars is a good place which is , obviously in Chelsea which is in Manhatten and its right below the chelsea hotel.

Have Fun
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Whassup with Rogue, are they still around? You shoulda been here when 48th st. guitars was still around (their space got bought out by Sam Ash), it was like walking into Manny's except ALL the stuff was used.

I dunno, maybe hit craig's list with an ad (will be in NYC looking for used basses X til Y, e-mail me if you hav esomething to sell) and if you get enough of a response, rent a rehearsal studio for a day at Michiko (there'll be amps there) and tell everybody to fall by there with the instruments. You can see'em by appointment...
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Jimmy at NY Bass and Guitar Boutique is alway really helpful...
  12. The stores (Sam Ash, Manny's) are on 48th St. between 6th & 7th, closer to 7th, but I agree on not going there for used stuff.

They're worth checking out just to say you were there.

Also, Guitar Center on 14th St. between 5th & 6th Avenues, closer to 5th has some very clean, but insanely overpriced vintage stuff that, while I wouldn't buy, is worth seeing.

Good luck.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I haven't been down 48th St. (betwen 7th+8th) in many many years. There used to be at least six or more music stores. Is Alex Axe still around? (Bought my Pedulla there, when Mike P. was nobody, for a steal!) Silver & Horland? That other place, the one with the lucite partitions above the counters, up to the ceiling, that had nocasters and D'Angelicos and such?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I will have to check out 30th street some time.
  15. Nope. Alex hasn't been there for quite a while, although I don't remember exactly when he went out of business. Alex is where I bought my Ibanez Musician. We-Buy also went out a while back; all that is Sam Ash now. Instead of different departments, Sam Ash actually has different store-fronts for guitars & basses, keys, drums, et cetera.

16. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Stupid sam ash bought like every store there and made it a section of SamAsh and If im not mistaken I think the majority of Mannys is vintage

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I didint see any vintage basses when i was their last friday.
  18. courtneyny

Apr 23, 2005
    yo you guys live here? those places are so expensive, but it's always worth it if you find your perfect new friend.

i would suggest a smaller store that has always done me right - First Flight. it is on 1st avenue (btwn 10th and 11th st.) i think. it's in the east village. those guys are great. got an early 70's fender music master in daphne blue for $500 bucks. saw the same guitar w/ a lame sticker stuck on it in another store for $1200. got an early 70s gibson eb3 bass for $775...other stores they stared at $1200. it's smaller so sometimes you get lucky. \FFFFFFFFFFFFirst Flight rules ! they have a heart about their prices!
  19. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Yeah, but I don't recall them having much bass gear.

You mean "We Buy Guitars"? I still miss that place.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't been in there in ages and had forgotten
    about it.

Oh, I forgot one: East Village Music, down on 2nd street.
    I got a great-sounding Univox ho-bag there for about $250.
    haven't been lately but I liked it years ago:

One more, out in Brooklyn: Main Drag Music.