bigs vs. minis

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ElectroStompbox, May 20, 2007.

1. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    doe any one have any thoughts or recomendations on the electro-harmonix effects pedals? what are better? the ull sizes or the minis? i want lots of feedback please

Thanks Much!
    Electrotompbox

p.s. no i don't work for electro-harmonix lol:)

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I don't mean to sound condescending, but... your question's reeeeeaaaally broad. Do you know how to use the search function on this forum?

I've dedicated a good portion of my TalkBass experience to testing, reviewing, and discussing EHX pedals, both older and newer.

Just search for one you're interested in here and look up what we've got to say about it. Feel free to add on to older conversations, or if you have a new question or want to discuss a comparison of specific pedals, you can start a new thread.

Believe me, you'd rather not have some of our resident meanies yelling at you to use the search function :D

3. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    well i basically wanted wo know if the big muff or little big muff would be better? and if the q-tron or the micro q-tron would be better?

4. ...search it.

that question has been asked before

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Heh... those are still really tricky questions. Everyone thinks differently of those pedals. And there's a lot of versions of the Big Muff out there (the USA/NYC Big Muff, Little Big Muff, and Russian Big Muff are the ones currently in production).

I personally love the Little Big Muff, as it's nearly identical in sound to the warm thick fuzz offered by the USA Big Muff. In fact, it has the same controls, and is a heck of a lot smaller since it's the newest version. The Russian Big Muff is usually harsher sounding (less warm). EricF did a poll recently about the three, and it turns out that those three models are all equally popular - I'd try all of them if you can, since you can find them in most music stores.

As for the Q-Trons... there's four versions out there. The two larger ones (Q-Tron and Q-Tron+) offer more controls, but require their own AC adapter. The Mini Q-Tron is a more compact, simple version of the Q-Tron that can get some similar funky sounds. The Micro is supposed to be a tiny reissue of the Mini.

Again, search for more info on each one, and try them out if you can. Most bassists opt for the Mini or Micro Q-Tron, but the larger Q-Tron and Q-Tron+ will get envelope filter tones that you won't get out of the three-knob Mini or Micro Q-Tron.

When it comes to effects, it's a complicated world. I'd take some time to think about what you're trying to sound like (i.e., maybe you want a heavy metal distortion tone, or want to sound just like Bootsy Collins in a particular song, etc.). I'd also go to a shop and just test out different effects on bass, without worrying about whether or not they're built for bass specifically. Plenty of effects out there work great on both, but some will be better than others to your ears!

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Due to the significantly smaller enclosure, the nano line has a much reduced mojo factor.

This in and of itself isn't a big deal, unless you are running it through a solid state amp. The lack of tub mojo in your solid state amp will make the lack of mojo in the nano pedals noticeable...

And yes.. This post is full of mojo...

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Why'd you have to bring mojo into this? You're gonna confuse the heck out of him :p

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    better he learn now about it :p

9. my girlfriend really likes the bigs......

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, but the minis are more fool efficient.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The best part about the Mini Q tron is that its still pretty damm big and has a ton of Mojo!!!

12. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Oh so much Mojo, guess thats why I have two of those size effects - to compensate for my lack of amp Mojo

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021