1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bigsby added to son's Telecaster FMT-followup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Aug 3, 2012.

1. ok, i have added a Bigsby B5 to my son's Fender Telecaster FMT. we measured and fiddled and got it installed straight and right. so far so good. here is a pic:

fenderfmtwbigsbypnguse.

now the problem. and i don't think it is a major one, but kind of annoying and i just wanted to see if any of you could help...do i need a replacement bridge or not. and if so, what kind.

after we put the B5 on the guitar, we saw that the strings rub against the back lip of the bridge. again, here is a pic:

fenderfmtproblemcloseupuse.

it plays ok but i don't like it, and the strings may not last as long due to friction.

it is a four hole rectangular bridge, so if we installed the bigsby bridge, there would be two holes left open and unsightly.

will playing it this way really be a problem? and if the answer is yes, any suggestions for a replacement bridge that would not have this problem?

any thoughts appreciated.

davesignatureII-1.

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I would suggest just modify the current bridge, see where the strings make contact with the bridge and make space with a file.

The best solution, though, would be to use a bridge with locked saddles (or a tune o matic), since using the bigsby means lots of tension changes, etc.

Cheers! and hopes this help you a little :D

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I've only ever seen bigsbys with tune-o-matic style bridges... I'd say if you can get a cleaner shot of the bridge from a couple of angles it'd help those who have done this kind of modding give you informed advice.

I'd say with a few tweaks it'll fit - but it may be easier just to switch bridges. good luck with it!

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Tune O Matic.

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You could buy a cheaper ashtray style bridge and notch the back out where the strings would run if you want to keep the original bridge intact. It's fairly commonly done.