Bigsby for a jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Blackjac97, May 30, 2012.

1. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, but it would still be wildly pointless unless the goal was just to dive the open strings.

bass trems turn the bass into a novelty instrument; if that's cool, then go for it. :meh:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Does this look like a novelty instrument to you?

[​IMG]

Yeah, didn't think so. It's only a novelty if you can't figure out anything to do with it. Some of us aren't so closed off. Some of us are badasses.

:D

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    If the bass is fretless, just slide your hand up and down the fingerboard and presto! You got vibrato. Upright bassists have been doing it for many, many years.

And you will regret bothering with the bigsby setup. The longer scale makes strings harder to find, it'll be very prone to going out of tune at the first touch of the bar, and they're heavy. And unless you play a bass that has a TON of space behind the bridge, you won't be able to fit it no matter how much you modify it. Oh, and break angle over the bridge saddles is gonna be hard to get right without substantial neck shimming.

IMO, bigsbys belong on semi-hollow guitars and telecasters, not anywhere near a bass.

4. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    I have a tremolo on my Jazz Bass, but it is a Kahler tremolo that I bought, had shipped to my house and then set up by a 3rd party. I would recommend it, because from what I am seeing, you are going to spend alot of money on a gamble. You will need to have it modified, it could break, it could damage your bass. I have a Kahler with the Hipshot Ultralite tuners and I've never had my bass go out of tune, and no it isn't a novelty instrument, it's my workhorse.

TL;DR: Get a Kahler and save yourself money and stress

5. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, kinda ;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Whatever. If I took everyone's opinions seriously, I wouldn't even play music.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Looks pretty clunky to me:p

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Whatever to you, too.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ooh, something we can tease jimmym about!

"what do you say to the bass player who shows up to the audition with a tremolo on his bass?"

"thank you, next!"

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Thank you, for first laugh of the day.

11. Maybe that's why Claypool's not in Metallica...
    Thank God for trems..

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and too bad, that might have actually made metallica interesting to listen to.

13. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    I AM going to put a tremolo on my bass. I agree with JimmyM: why be closed off? Whether the bass is fretless or not, there is still value in having a tremolo system on the bass. I believe it's something that will aid in the greater good of being able to experiment sonically. It's not a novelty and it's not a waste of a bass. Some people also think that slap bass is a waste of time, and others take the time to learn it in order to give themselves more sonic options. This is the same idea. I'm looking for both positive advice on how to execute this setup and advice concerning risks and potential pitfalls. If you have a discouraging comment to make without any constructive advice, please save the post.

14. Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    JimmyM and Typhoon:
    I would consider using one of the 4000 series tremolo systems that hipshot makes (I don't like the kahlers. I find the hipshot aesthetic to be much more pleasing to the eye, and I believe they use a similar tension system). The reason I want to try a bigsby first is because it doesn't require any routing on the bass. If I were to decide, after giving it a go, that I don't want tremolo, I would be able to remove it without any extraneous amounts of wood to try and replace on the bass. But, the option is at the back of my mind.

mech:
    I like that plan a lot! I can show that to my machinist friend and see what he has to say about it. I agree, that seems as though it would perfectly plausible with work. Thank you very much!

15. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    PM me when you start working on it and I may be able to help work out some of the details.

mech

16. I take the opposing view: neck dive is a waste of a perfectly good bass (but no, I don't have a trem, however it would be great for the fear factor, having the audience wondering if a bass solo is gonna break out any minute).

17. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I think a tremolo is a very interesting hardware for a bass check that out :

18. Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Wow, that's an awesome video!! Really really tasteful term use. Thanks for the vid!

Thanks a lot mech, really appreciate all your help. I may take you up on that. :)

19. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Only concern I have past the feasability of it working correctly is do you even have enough real estate on a Jazz Bass in the bridge area to mount the Bigsby plate and the bridge for proper intonation?

I seriously think you do not, without radically repositioning the neck pocket

20. Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    I do if I modify a bigsby b50 to have the tension bar removed. then i would have enough room to have the tremolo unit and the roller bridge on there.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021