1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Biking '09

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spade2you, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Log your '09 miles, races, group rides, organized rides, unorganized rides, new bikes, old bikes, etc!

New bike:
    DSC01159.

Miles: Not a whole lot. Been cold, windy, and snowy. Spending a lot of time on the trainer with interval DVDs.

Races: A LOT planned!!!! :smug:

2. Tuesdays & Thursdays I've been doing a little hilly 10 or 20 mile loop on my skinny-tired 91 Retrotec MTB. I've probably gotten a couple hundred miles this year. No biggie of course but a huge increase over the last 10 years.

3. Took the bike out fora 30 mile ride. I have a route that is normally 26 miles, but there's a closed hill route that I added. 52 degrees and pretty strong ~13mph w/23mph southwest wind. Pretty miserable!

4. Just got the singlespeed out for a ride yesterday. It is good to be back :D I'll be doing a min of 5KM a day, every day. weeeeeeee.

And I got 3 jerseys for my bday tonight :D no more sweaty shirts at work! woo :D.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Only 12 miles this week. Next week more. :)

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I was about 7 years old, just out riding my bicycle one day......., when a motorcycle passed.
    A light bulb went off in my head: "Hey, they make these things with motors".

My peddling days were over!

7. I go both ways- even had a '71 Commando for awhile, but it was a case of *fix twice for each ride* so it eventually had to go the way of the[other]dinosaurs...
    I just got my '01 WR-250 out of storage; next Saturady is *go through it* day, hopefully I'll ride it more than once this year...
    I fully intend to rebuild my '83 Mert Lawwill Pro Cruiser as a single-speed.

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I did a short 6 miles last weekend. Today is a mix of snow and rain, so I'll probably wait another week before I take the road bike on a serious ride.

In the meanwhile, I can log my vertical distance :hyper:

42 feet down, 18 up

[​IMG]

9. You're making me miss my P3, as well as my late-30s. :atoz:

10. One of these days, I have to dig SOMETHING out of the garage and go ride it - I had plans on doing the Death Ride again this year, but a grand total of 249 single-speed miles so far this year probably won't cut it...

11. SS miles=X2, in my book. :)

12. Not when the largest thing you've climbed is an overpass...

13. Alrighty then, rebuild approved- carry on. Progress pics, please. :) I may have some *before* shots of my SS/basket case later.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I've done 65 miles since I donated my kidney 6 1/2 weeks ago.

All of them sucked.

15. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    New bike this January:

DSC00333.

DSC00335.

DSC00338.

DSC00340.

I've got a 10 mile loop I used to ride most days, but now I've started fencing four nights a week so I go on shorter rides those days and do longer ones on Fridays and weekends. Estimated mileage this year is about 700 so far.

16. Considering the t-storm and tornado watch, didn't get out after work, but did about 45 minutes of Real Rides: Speed on the trainer. Probably use tomorrow as a recovery day, which is fine because the weather looks even worse.

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    www.teammojousa.com

Thats my dads website, and his creation. Thought you guys would like to take a look.

Im 16 and plan on buying a Specialized MTB this summer. I might buy my dads 05' Rockhopper.

Proud supporting member of the Team Mojo Army.

EDIT: Looks as if my pops has let the site die for a bit. He tore a muscle in his foot a while ago and lost the biking bug. Im going to get him back into it.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Tour of Flanders this afternoon!

w000t!

19. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I'd love to start crosscountry mountain biking again. I used to do it, got into BMX, broke a few bones, sold the bike and got me a bass... Now if I only could afford it, I'd get a nice XC-bike. Any suggestions for cheap ones, that could possibly be slowly upgraded, something with a good frame and a decent fork, hardtail, for cost reasons, and after bmx I feel like I want to have a solid touch to what the rear wheel is doing. :)

20. Two suggestions - first off, IMO it's hard to beat what Specialized puts out in mid-lvl mtn frames. I've worked in a number of shops over the years and seen a LOT of production bikes, and Specialized consistently cranks out good value for the buck. A lot of times, the higher-end bike series (Stumpjumpers, for example) all use the same frame - the differences come in the componentry its built up with. This could be a cheaper way to get a nicer bike - buy the best frame you can and upgrade the parts over time.

Secondly, look at used bikes, especially if it is sold thru a shop - their service guys should have gone thru it and made sure stuff works right. Otherwise, and/or when buying from a private party, look the bike over; do the wheels run straight and round?; are the bearings (headset, BB, hubs) spinning smoothly and silently?; is the fork oozing fluid anywhere? If it passes these tests, chances are the bike's been maintained on a regular basis and less likely that you're buying someone elses headache. I would, however, suggest staying away from high-end (as in, light weight) air forks - these are primarily designed as race forks and that usually means higher and/or more frequent servicing (they're designed to survive for one race or so before being torn down and serviced).