1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Biking 2012

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Jan 1, 2012.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Kicked off the year with an 8 mile ride through some sketchy woods today. Super wet and incredibly slick. First time on the trails with clipless pedals, my legs and arms are my proof.

Still looking to snag a 29er this year.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just before x-mas, I was on the way home from work, and went down on a patch of black ice, breaking a rib. So, I'll be driving my car for a while. My boss offered me a pair of studded tires that don't fit any of his bikes.

Every year it's something other than the weather that keeps me from riding through the winter. It's not a big deal, but just a pride thing, that I'd like to say that I've done it.

Everybody: Be careful. I'm lucky that none of my injuries prevented me from playing a gig the next day.

3. 10-12 miles, mostly off-road, hungover & SS'g it in '12, baby! :bassist:

4. Missed out on some unseasonably nice weather. Had a head cold and some sinus swelling. Stuck with riding indoors. :crying:

5. 308 miles today, with my bike (BMW F650CS), brr didn't realized California central valley is this cold in January...

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    308 miles?!

I think you have the wrong biking... ;)

7. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Only ride so far in 2012 was the ride home from the new years party I was at.
    Temperatures here have been above freezing for about the last month, so I didn' have my Ice Spikers on. Resulted in a crash four hours into the new year- the temperature had dropped, and it was snowing...

Getting ready for the years first commute to work right now, and after I get off this afternoon, I'll be stopping in at my lbs to pick up a 2011 Trek GFC Cobia on closeout.
    Can't wait to hit the trails with it, and seeing what this 29er-business is about!

8. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I see winter riding the same as if I were in very technical MTB trail. You have to adapt your riding too.
    Couple of tips for safe winter rides :
    -no front braking
    -when tuning , do it slowly
    -no sudden moves

I use 700 studded tires in city (North east)
    and 2,3 MTB in snowmobile trails with my MTB.

All my bikes are IGH or SS

It's my 25th winter this year.

9. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    My 29er is a GF Kaitai '06. Handles well on iced roads with Hakkas on.

Right now I live in the South (FL) and do strictly trails so I have a 2" Fast Track in the front and a 38c Armadillo Crossroads in the back. Clipless is a must, especially in the snow, IMO.

Have fun and be safe!

10. Got the old Raleigh ready to ride agin today; commute starts back up tomorrow.

keeping up the ol' 100mi/week is really, really difficult in winter...

11. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    They just announced that there is going to be some big bicycle race starting in Durango this year.
    Not sure what it is but the spandex crowd seems to be pretty happy about it.

12. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I haven't ridden since break began sadly, due to bad weather, lack of proper gear, and lack of any indoor option. I was riding the spinning bikes at school, but not now. The LBS should be getting some gear I ordered in this week. Pretty stoked to get back out.

@J. Crawford, clipless is such an improvement once you get used to it. I only have road experience, but it really is much better.

13. It's difficult, but I'm having to log more than that in equivalent time on the trainer and rollers.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No rides yet this year... getting over an epic cold since 12/28.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You guys have it rough with the winter conditions! I just got back from riding the Fullerton Loop, an 11.3 mile jaunt through the hills of the town that Leo built. It's very popular (read crowded) and less than aesthetic but it's the closest riding to me. Temps were in the low 70s. :D

I usually don't make new year resolutions but I'm forcing myself to ride more this year. I kind of slacked off last year and I'm paying the price now in an acute lack of fitness.

16. DeathFromBelow

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    :spit: @ the two previous posts...

:D

17. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Mud, mud a sea of mud. Managed to get 20 miles in just before Xmas when we had some snow down for a day or 2, but apart from that about 2-3 months of constant wet weather here, just mud.

[​IMG]

18. DeathFromBelow

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    It's Fatbike time.

19. Otter

Otter

Dec 14, 2008
    Oregon (Southern)
    This was my ride yesterday, just a shade under 5 miles. I'm out of shape...this will be corrected!

and yes I know, I can't seem to spell "Cathedral" LOL

Attached Files: