1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bilbo's Bass Bites - Free Transcription Website

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Rob Palmer, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

1. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    Transcriptions I have done over the years. Features 26 Jeff Berlin full transcriptions (Bruford and solo) anda hhost of others. Over 120 charts to help with your reading practice. Please download as you wish. All FREE. No ads. Just a labour of love.

Bilbos Bass Bites - Bass Transcriptions

foal30, Andy V., Seanmo and 6 others like this.
  2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    @Rob Palmer This is very generous of you - thank you very much.

3. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Sorry, I couldn't resist:

4. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    It is a shocker, isn't it?

For the record, my given names are Robert William, which is shortened to Bob Bill. BobBill is flipped is BillBob which my wife shortened to Bilbo. That and the fact that I live in a hole in teh ground. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it is a hobbit-hole and that means comfort.

Spectrum and Andy V. like this.
  5. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Ah, that explains everything. My first and middle names are Craig Drew. Regrettably the only nickname to which I can recall that being shortened was one used by my brothers when I was young and they wanted to torture me , "egg drool". I try not to think about it these days.

6. Please tell me the front door of your house is round and the knob is in the center!

7. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    No but my home studio (shed/cabin) is called Bag End and I have recorded the bass parts for three albums in there.

8. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Any chance of Moondance by Van Morrison?

Yours sincerely
    Foal30

9. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    None whatsoever.

ChrisDev and foal30 like this.
  10. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I think that is my favourite Internet joke

I wish I had saved your thesis on Moondance.

11. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    [quote name='Clarky' post='926546' date='Aug 16 2010, 03:16 PM']At the risk of turning you into a purple, vein-busting Hulk-type creature, Bilbo, what is so bad about the bassline of Moondance - sounds like (an admittedly pop-inflected) take on a standard Jazz walking bass line to me????[/quote]

It doesn't swing, there is no internal logic to the lines and the sound sucks. Apart from that, its grrrrrreat....

If a player is playing a line in, say, A minor, it is not enough just to play the notes in an A minor scale. They need to start somewhere and go somewhere in a logical and musical way. The logic is defined by strong notes (1, 3, 5, 6 or 7) and weak notes (2, 4) and by the creative use of chromatics (everything else) but just playing ABDCEF or G in any order is a bit crap.

When you are trying to swing, you need to get a sympathetic sound. The bass on Moondance is a kind of clunky ping ping ping ping ping that sits serparately in the mix and doesn't help the rest of the ensemble gel at all (the track has featured as a 'great' in music tecnology magazines - says a lot about the difference between music and technology). His timing is also uncontrolled and fails to groove in any way whatsoever. The only good thing about this performance is that almost anyone with a pulse can improve upon it.

It is, of course, against the law to try....

If this sounds like a jazz walking bass line to you, I suggest you listen to anything with Ray Brown on it before you do anything else. You will be thrilled...

12. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    That post is 10 years old. Time has not tempered my views :)

13. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK