1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Bruford, Jeff Berlin and Allan Holdsworth?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have seen videos of these guys playing together and saying as my collection is a bit light on Holdsworth and Berlin material, I was wondering which if Bill Bruford's records feature them. I am really looking for the ones featuring Jeff and Allan together, such is my constant hunt for fresh fusion! You guys know how I love my fusion! Any help appreciated!

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    If you don't have it already, check out Bill Bruford's Master Strokes 1978-1985. There's a track on there with all three playing, but I don't remember which. I'll check it out when I get home.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That one struck me as an option, but I am most interested in albums which feature Holdsworth and Berlin from front to back, and certainly no Yes material!

If I only get on record, would One of a Kind be a fair choice?

4. Wow--I can't believe there aren't more responses, but it looks like my chance at my good deed for today--

You must, must, must, MUST get not only 'One of a Kind', but [at least as important], its predecessor, the first Bru solo recording, 'Feels Good to Me'.

These are to me absolutely required listening for all fusion and prog-rock heads. I think they're still out on CD--I blessed the day I found CD's of them.

Berlin plays his butt off on both. And '5G' on 'One of a Kind' features the only slap lick that I think he ever did--and it's a doozy.

Also I would highly recommend predecessor band to this: the first release by UK, called 'UK', with Holdsworth, Bruford, ex-Zappa keyboard ace Eddie Jobson and John Wetton on bass and vocal--also classic stuff. UK and Bruford's band actually shared some material.

I envy you getting to experience this great music for the first time.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Even though Holdsworth is not on it, Gradually Going Tornado is very good. Jeff is far more prominent on that album.

6. I have almost all of those records, and the one that really grabbed me by far was 'One of a Kind'. Some of the most beautiful stuff, and of course, great playing. I can't play one of those songs all the way through.
    Five-G is a landmark bass tune.
    The title track is just georgeous.
    Travels With Myself - and Someone Else
    wow.
    The others just don't grab me like that.
    For some more cool Holdsworth, check out Jean Luc Ponty's 'Enigmatic Ocean'. He doesn't step in until like the 4th track, but when he does...
    Oh, and try to find Allan's solo record 'Road Games'.

7. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    He rips one off on the video from the Spice of Life tour with Kazumi Watanabe & Bruford, Kazumi's gives him a funny look like he's never seen that before :)

Currently Bruford is touring with Laurence Cottle who studied with Jeff Berlin many years ago at BIT, you can hear the influence.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1. If I'm not mistaken, that is the CD with Joe Frazier on it.

9. yes it is, however I prefer Joe Fraizer Round II on Pump It!

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I was lucky enough to see that band a few times. Absolutely stellar...

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thanks very much for the input guys! I'll be looking into picking up the ones mentioned in this thread! I

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I remember when those albums came out, I was already familiar with Holdsworth from Tony Williams Lifetime, but Berlin was just starting to make the scene, mind blowing. One of the great throw-down fusion bands of the late 70's. IMHO of course.;)

13. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    As mentioned, Road games by AH is a great AH/JB disc. Heavy metal fatigue is also great with some awesome Jimmy Johnson bass. Both records have some cool vox by the english Paul Williams (not the hollywood squares weeman).
    For fans of that stuff, the last Steve Vai disc,Real Illusions, has 1 tune called "under it all", that is the closest to that early AH stuff w/ vox I've heard.Heavy dark dense chords, cool harmony, and heavy lyrics. He says it was an extremely cathartic piece to finish. The rest of the disc is fairly standard guitar hero stuff. It's a must have if you're into the AH+vox thing.

14. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

Yep. That is a plus in its favor. The minus is that Jeff sings lead on some of the tracks. brrrwwuuuuugggggghhhhh! :rollno:

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I agree with you about that one, but I'm not quite sure about the highlighted statement. That record is quite crazy with innovation and quite far from "guitar hero" stuff. Vai transcends stereotypes on that record. For a typical guitar hero record, check out Richie Kotzen's self titled debut. The playing is bombasic but a lot of the songs lack a "true" hook. It's still a great record though, and a true example of "standard" guitar hero fare. Compare the two and you'll see that what Vai has made on Real Illusions is perhaps some of his most intricate and esoteric work yet!

16. The whole of this concert is now on DVD - Rock Goes to College - Bill Bruford

It's fantastic 70s prog-fusion - definitely worth owning - I have a copy - lucky me....oh this is the concert where Mr Jeff "I hate slapping" Berlin, er, does some slapping - on a distorted fuzz tone thang - and it rocks. Bill and Allan are on great form as well

Buys it here
    http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Goes-College-Live-1979/dp/B000H5TW20