Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill 'Buddha' Dickens DVD?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Anyone know when this is out, who's it through (i.e. can you buy it online) and is it a compilation of the two Warner Bros videos he put out? If it is then I think it'll good value considering I paid quite a bit for the (crappy) quality video - I love DVD!

2. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    I have it. it is on 45 dollars but is 2 videos on a dvd, plus victor wooten, oteil burbridge, roscoe and other awesome players are included.

I recomend it, but.... like other bassist videos, he give you an example that bass guitar is an awesome instrument on their hands, an it tells you: if you practice a lot every day of the rest of your life, some day you can do it...... or better.

First day I saw it, I tougth: I'm nothing, I don't want to play bass anymore and I got a litle frustated.......

After a week I tried their exercises. Exercises are very easy to learn and sounds very cool with some speed, not need to be budha to play some of him cool techniques. :bassist:

3. Does he play everything on his 7-string?? Or does he use a 4 string??

4. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    i think he use a 4 string too i have some little videos

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I hope they leave out the section where he advises players to learn the chords to the songs they're playing. :eyebrow: :rollno:

6. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    HE TEACHES WITH A 4 STRIGED BASS, BUT USES 7 OR 9 STRING ON SUPER PERFORMANCES

7. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    ok, for didactic purpose he plays a 4 strigs. On 7 and 9 stringed bass he let you see what a normal person never gonna do, it's very very impressive to see him, he intimidates you when he is playing, but he is a nice dude on video.

The lessons are:

FUNK BASS AND BEYOND
    intro performance
    plucking and thumping
    slap/hammer approach
    pulling technique
    triplets
    putting it together
    performance
    seven-string bass
    buddha discipline
    budha rope-right hand*
    budha rope- left hand*
    riff technique
    outro end credits

BASS BEYOND LIMITS
    intro performance
    2-5-1 concept
    jazz performance
    latin influence
    latin performance
    funk
    funk performance
    goals
    gear
    outro end creditds

*this lesson cost more than the price of the dvd

LEGENDARY PERFORMANCES ( WOOTEN, PASTORIUS, DAVE POMEROY, OTEIL BURBRIDGE)

EXERCISE TIPS FOR BASS PLAYERS (THEORY)

8. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    2nd Baloo's post. he teaches and instructs with a 4 or 5 string, but uses his 7 or 9 in just about all of his performances. I've talked with him a few times about it and he basically just said he uses 4/5 stringers only for simplicity in instructing.

9. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    Tell him I like their video, I just saw their video and I look him like a great teacher.. jaja