Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Clements--Oh good Lord!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Nov 2, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Just saw him tonight at a clinic, at Low Down Sound in Detroit.
    The dude is smokin'. And with only 1 arm!!!
    He lost his right arm in an accident 17 years ago, and now plays only using his left are in a "tapping" type of way.
    But not like you think. The guy can go like Gary Willis (whom he reminded me of) and like Rocco.
    Forget the fact he has one arm and just listen, he freakin kills.
    The stuff on the site is very progressive and a bit out of my box, but what he played tonight was groovin hard as hell!!
    Bill Clenents web site

The stuff on the site does not even come close to what he was playing tonight. Very grooving, tight, burning fusion. Two sax players a drummer and him.

The only thing I could come up with was he sounded like Gary Willis.
    I was floored by him. And he was a super great guy to talk to/hang with.

Props to Jauqo III X for making the trip out to Detroit as well.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, PLUS A GIZILLION!!!! I posted about the clinic in Off Topic with a pic of Bill and Jauqo, great show!! The mans rhythm is just sick! He was holding down grooves that were just unheard of and his attack was so powerful.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah he is a cool cat, I met him this last Indy NAMM at the Adler booth... then the next day caught him playing the pajamas out of a Dean Hollowbody Taxi Cab... :eek:

4. thats pretty cool!
    i recommend watching the video on his website...pretty interesting!

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I was there as well. I wanted to ask him how he got his insanely powerful/growly tone, but I had to leave early. His speed is unnatural given his physical handicap.

Did he mention anything about his tone after about 7:30pm?

-Eric.

6. After hearing his stuff online, kinda got me thinking. Maybe those of us with 2 hands are the ones that are handicapped because he was doing stuff with 1 hand that I can't do.

He should be an inspiration for anyone. Not just bass players. Just for the simple fact that a physical handicap is not excuse to keep you from doing what you love.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    He uses a mute/capo and tunes his basses BEAD, he using a Warmouth Jazz with Barts run passive and he was running the Eden 800RB flat last night. He also just signed with Eden as an endorser.