Bill Conklin: RMC Synth Retrofit for GT-7

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eric Cioe, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I recently bought a Groove Tools 7 string, and I love it. I would like to get it outfitted with RMC synth pickups. After talking to John Turner for a length, I decided that I would like to do this as soon as possible.

My questions- How much would it cost to get the system installed on my bass? How many knobs swtches would it add? Is it possible to put 3-band EQ plus the synth in the control cavity?
  2. Conklin

Conklin Conklin Guitars

In order to do this retrofit you will essentially need to gut the stock printed circuit board preamp that comes in the Groove Tools and replace it with either a Bartolini NTBT or even a NTMB 3-band EQ and new pots (the latter will require drilling a hole for the mid pot or using a stacked bass/treble pot). The new preamp and pots will set you back about $200. The next thing you need to do is replace the current non-piezo bridge with a RMC compatible bridge such as an ABM or Hipshot (RMC now makes replacement saddles for both of these brands). The new bridge with RMC saddles will run approximately $500 Finally, you will need to drill for and wire in the RMC Polydrive 1B which comes with the 13-pin output jack, a 3-way synth/mag/piezo switch, a patch switch, synth volume and magnetic/piezo blend control. This kit will run you about $350 for a grand total of around $1050 sans labor. In addition you will need to run your bass through a 13-pin compatible MIDI converter such as a Roland, Yamaha or the AXON unit that we use and recommend in my shop.

Hope that helps...Best wishes,
    Bill Conklin
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    thanks for the info bill
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey bill

good to see you up and running :)
  5. Berme

May 11, 2001
    Hello, Bill. It´s great having you in TB answering our questions. By the way, why is it necesary to change the old preamp used with the GT Conklins for wiring in the Poly-Drive, maybe a question of compatibility?
  6. Conklin

Conklin Conklin Guitars

Actually Bermel, it is solely for room. The printed circuit board that comes stock in the GT-7's takes up all the room inside the cavity which is not a problem until you try adding the 13-pin output which has it's own little circuit board attached to it and all the additional pots, switches, piezo wires and piezo/magnetic blend control.