1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Crow...how'd I miss him?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by nic salsus, Apr 15, 2010.

1. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Listened to Piano Jazz last night guest hosted by bassist Bill Crow. He's a wonderful player and I'm shocked I'd managed to completely ignore him the thirty-five years or so I've been paying attention to jazz. Tempering the embarrassment of that though is the very pleasant surprise of discovery. Looking forward to hunting down some of his many recordings with Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan and others. Anyone know if he's still active playing, teaching? Sounds like the kind of guy I'd like a lesson or two with.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't know if he's teaching, but he's still playing around. He also is fairly actively involved in Local 802 or the AF of M here in NYC.

Check out his website.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, his website is good and you should read his books. I wrote a glowing review of "From Birdland to Broadway" and a friend loaned me his other one yesterday.

I've got to go find that Piano Jazz on-line, I missed it!

4. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    His book "Jazz Anecdotes" should be required reading for all jazz musicians. Just don't read it with while drinking milk, unless you enjoy blasting milk out your nose.

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Especially the one about Joe Venuti......

6. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up. On my way to the library to borrow their copy and I'd hate to have to explain the milk damage.

7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Agreed. He is a great player and writer. His books are amazing, and he's great in the Mulligan quartets.

8. Bill's been a player I've been familiar with since I was a kid.
    Both those books are real treasures and I highly recommend them.
    There's a funny story in "From Birdland To Broadway" involving Al Cohn that pretty much summed up the romantic side of Al and put me away in the process.
    Great stuff.

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA

10. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  11. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    The Big Lebowski, Walter and the Dude burying Donny, of course! Right down to the coffee can ashes. Bill Crow is a fine writer, he should get credit for that scene. The brothers Cohen have a good ear for coin falling on the floor.......I hear they are going to do a re make of "True Grit".

12. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Some more Mulligan with Bill Crow, from a TV broadcast in Rome 1956

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It is dated 2001 and the Lebowski is '95, so it is either great minds think alike or Bill adapting an old standard to a jazz context!

14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    So, Bill must close to 100 :bag:

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    2001 may be the date that it's copyright was dated, but the sentence:
    "Musicians from the radio studios hung out at another place farther east."
    should place it "in time" for you. Radio stations haven't had live orchestras since the 50s...

16. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Great minds thinking alike and stealing from the same source!

17. :spit: :bawl:

18. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Sorry Paul. I just turned 50 this week so the age jokes have carried over to all of my social interactions.

19. Only 82. With lotsa music still in 'im.