1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Dicken Lesson

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Have I tried it.. yup

Can I do it without sounding like poop... nope

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Youtube? Buy the dvd, it's excellent! Massively underrated player, a bit of a virtuoso really...he is so incredibly versatile! I learned a lot from that DVD but I can't even touch Bill!

3. So, is that Voodoo rope thing available?

4. The Buddah rope is......just rope. Just find a piece that works and call it good.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    You don't need rope or anything to do that. I learned that finger exercise from a Dave Weiner video... it's just a chromatic warm-up. If you practice playing without a rope, IME, you'll have better results. Then you can not only work on finger strength for clarity and articulation, too.

Dave has about 80 videos with stuff like this on YouTube.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=DAVEWEINER

Best,

Dave

6. I couldn't see why the rope was necessary. Just what is it suppose to do?

7. mute it.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The rope goes under the strings and you practice your scales etc. it builds up strength in your hands and fingers,you will notice a difference once you take the rope from under the strings and play the instrument.

It's like weight training or lifting.

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    So, the idea of the rope to raise the action, more than mute it?

It seems to me that it would be better to practice fretting while you're practicing fingering - that is, playing cleanly & sounding solid, clear notes.

Why not kill two birds with one stone, and just raise the action for practicing?

- Dave

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Do you really want to keep raising and lowering the action on your bass ?

11. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    the reason is most musicians dont know how to set up there own instruments so it would become a expensive thing to raise the action every time you wanted to practice.

How hard is it to slide a rope versus redo your setup.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I think it was Bill who said,
    "I always saw these upright bassists switch to electric bass, and when they soloed they had killer speed!"

The reason is because the action on the Upright, compared to the electric is VERY different. Upright is higher usually.
    So in raising the strings with the rope, you get the effect of higher action, therefore, greater finger strength and agility.

It's the same deal with baseball players, swinging a bat with the weights on it.
    When they take them off, they have more power!

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Thank you.

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    No problem :)

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    People should be able to understand the concept behind what Bill is doing with the rope.

16. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    I meant, use another bass (setup with higher action) for practicing. I have two Line6 Variaxes for this reason.

- Dave

17. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    I wish I could find a good bass to practice with that cost the same as a piece of rope!:hyper: :hyper:

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This seems like the same kind of snake oil crap as "Gripmasters."

Thanks, but I'm comfortable NOT sounding like the first 12 seconds of that video :rolleyes:

19. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Not at all. Its no different than just playing your bass with really high action. Like people in this thread, and Mr. Dickens himself have said, its just a tool to mimic the playing conditions of upright basses on the electric to help build strength/endurance. It works really well. Try shedding on a complicated riff with a piece of cloth wedged underneath the strings (same effect as the Buddha rope). It will be a lot harder than if you played normally, of course (not to mention you won't actually hear it since the cloth dampens all of it). However, if you just keep practicing that riff for about 5-10 minutes and then take the cloth away, you will notice that your fingers will fly over the strings as soon as you're back to normal.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021