Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Dickens anyone?^^

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by claypool, Aug 26, 2002.

1. claypool

claypool

Jul 6, 2000
    Seoul Korea
    I am a huge fan of Victor Wooten and Les claypool. Their crazy playing style just takes my breath away and i spend most of the times with my bass trying to do what they do on theirs....

I recently found out Bill Dickens. and he is added to my list!!! I just wanted to see some of Bill Dickens fans here at talkbass.^^:rolleyes:

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a few videos of his.........and he is quite a badass!!!!!!

3. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    He has so many strings on his bass... I think he plays Conklin basses right?

Yea, he is good, though that might be an understatment.

4. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    If you ever get a chance to see Bill live…do it! He is absolutely amazing in every since of the word. Although he’s known for his outrageous soloing (as he should be), the man can stay in the pocket all night & lay down the thickest grooves you’ve ever seen.

He also happens to be the humblest & nicest guy you’ll ever meet.

Whappo

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, he is indeed a badass. However this makes me think of the old Bill Dickens bass video that I have. He was the worst video teacher I have ever seen. It's almost painful to watch him bumble through his descriptions of his equipment and his explanations of his playing. Kinda funny actually. He really is amazing though but he's getting kind of outta control with that 9 string bass that he sometimes hauls out now. At what point do you cease becoming a bassist and become the whole band?

You don't have to do it up Dick Van Dyke/Mary Poppins style with the bass drum on the back to be a one-man band.

brad cook

ps - please don't take any of this as insult to Bill Dickens...I'm writing all of this with a light-hearted intent and a smile on my face

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had never heard Dickens play until Friday night when I went to see Victor Wooten and Dickens showed up for a song or two. HOLY...umm..COW!!!

It was a major funk fest ....Bill is a monster.

Oh and Vic was pretty amazing too (as were Anthony (his bass tech) and Divinity)!

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I was at that show.I stayed upstairs away from the crowd.yes a good show.