Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Dickens Conklin Sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 8, 2002.

1. I was just wondering. What do you guys think of this bass? How is it? How does it compare to Custom Shop Conklins? How does it sound? How does it feel?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    To answer your question.I have played Bills bass numerous times,( and BD models that were in guitar stores) having owned a Conklin custom,and having played my share of Conklin customs,as well as being a fan of Conklin's craftmanship I must say the BD model is surely not a bad deal.the Groove Tools line is the best introduction into the world of the multistring bass.if I couldnt afford a custum 7,it would surely be a groove tool.think about it who else is making a IMHO and experience a 7 string bass that has enough quality to stand on its own for a few dollars less than its more expensive big brother.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i owned one for about a week- i dont have the balls to play 7- i loved the bass, tho- it felt awesome!! and it was solid as a rock- i found all the eq options a bit overwhelmng- but im a good ol 3 band guy- bass/mids/treble and im home-
    but like anything- once you get used to it- there are a million sounds in there- i loved it- hell i even loved the GT7!!

4. Great bass

IMO it's an outstanding instrument. Well made, nice tone, good feel about it. And it's definately a few bucks less than the full conklin custom alternative. I'd say if your fussy about quality but you can't quite come up with the scratch for a Handmade Conklin - this is the next best thing. Truly a fine instrument - and within the finacial grasp of us meer mortals

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz

5. I've had a BD7 for about a year now. I played a couple of the regular GT7s and didn't like the feel of the necks, but the BD is thinner (back to 'board) and felt much faster.

I think I have finally gotten a pretty good grasp on doing it justice as far as figuring out how to use all those damned strings. Although it may be sacrificed for a new fretless. As much as I would hate to get rid of it, I may have to. Man, I hate saying those words...

Anyway, I think it's a great bass for the $$$. Well balanced, not nearly as heavy as it looks, and a pretty decent range of tone with good tweaking room.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all i know is that anyone who can slap on a 7 string and make it funk like Buddha is a bad ass... :D