Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bill dickens sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea-bass, Jul 4, 2004.

1. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    has anyone played this bass?
    how does it play?
    is it a good deal?

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I own one. It plays nice. It's a great deal.

3. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    +1.

I love my billy sig.

4. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Love mine as well. I'd argue that its one of the best production basses available.

5. Excellent in price and quality ~ a big step up from the GT7. I have a BD7 and used to own a GT7.

6. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    how is the b string on it?

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I owned one for awhile. It was a decent bass and I liked it. I had the one from Bass Alone that had all the inlays on it, ABM bridge etc. I felt the B string was the weak point actually. It was very floppy.

8. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I used to own a GT-BD7 but I didn't think the B was floppy. I know you had the upgraded ABM bridge, Jared, but maybe that affected it.

Anyway, if you're looking for a quality 7 stringer at an affordable price you'd be hard pressed to find something better. It's a great bass, along with the GT-7, to get your feet wet for not a lot of $$$, especially used.

I sold mine because there were a few things I didn't care for:
    -Purpleheart fretboard. Purpleheart is very heavy and I didn't care for the sound as a fretboard material.

-Weight. The bass is heavy and wants to neck dive. I never played with a strap though, so maybe if you wear a strap it won't neck dive as badly. With all the tuners on the end of the headstock you have to expect some neck dive and it's not terrible.

-Electronics. There's a lot of knobs and switches, that's for sure! I could never find a sound I was happy with, it always sounded bland to me. I don't want to have to look for a great sound on a bass, it needs to be there. In all fairness though I would not pick those woods for my bass.

-Fretboard size. The sheer size fatigued my hands quickly. Now, there are guys with smaller hands than me who don't have a problem with this, but for me, personally, it was uncomfortable to play for long periods and would hurt my hand/wrist.

-F string. I felt that the high F was too high sounding for me. It's purely personal though, as to how high or low you feel your bass should sound.

Sometimes the only way to know if you'll like something is to dive right in. I did and don't regret it. I found that 6 strings is my limit and that's fine, as I'm very happy with my current bass.

9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I agree, don't like it either

I really agree!! The main thing I dislike about it!

Not my choices either, but about sound I just don't think it has a good slap tone, my dub band tough, loves it!

No problem at the neck but the right arm rest area feels too sharp for me.
    Go low F# :bag:

More power to you ;)

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I owned one for over a year-didn't think the B was floppy at all. String type has a lot to do with that.
    I also didn't experience neck dive-mine balanced very well. This might have been because the ash body on mine was VERY heavy (bass was probably 14 pounds). The width of the fretboard didn't bother me, but I'd get hand fatigue now and then because the neck was so thin, front to back. Tons of knobs, but I like that :) I had a few sounds that I loved on that bass, but your results may vary. If you aren't into mids, it may not be a great sounding bass for you.

11. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

That might be why my hand/wrist would hurt. The bass played easily, the fretboard was not hard to get around on. It must have been the physical thinness of the neck that caused the discomfort.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Guy named Rick Tate up in Philly playing a BD7 blew my mind about a year ago. Made me want one. Never got one though, because baby--the magic is in the HANDS.

13. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My BD sig is my main bass nowadays, and i love it.

Its true, it does take a little knob fiddling to get the exact sound you want, but i find that i get very good sounds out of mine.

My B isnt floppy at all, but as they say, every instrument is unique, even production basses. Billy himself picked this one out of a few hundred a long time before I acquired it, and no doubt he tested the B string to make sure it worked. Mine also has a tighter string spacing between the E and B than other GTBD models, so that may or may not have anything to do with it, not sure. Either way, no complaints here :).

As far as neck diving...yeah it does a little bit. I went out and bought a large leather strap, and now it doesnt really dive at all, just sticks right to my shoulder....It does get heavy after a while though...

I also think the high F is a bit....thin? I dunno, either way, low F# is for me :).

Once i save up a little more money i plan on getting a peavey cirrus 4 as another main bass and im sure my playing on the BD will go down, but for any extended range needs, I'd have to say its a tough deal to beat for the sound. a ton better than the normal GT-7.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup. It's much less stress to hold your hand on a standard neck than to keep it in a pinching position for a long period of time.