Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Dicken's Style!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by claypool, Aug 26, 2002.

1. claypool

claypool

Jul 6, 2000
    Seoul Korea
    I'm trying to dig this monsterous person's style!!!
    i was working on Victor wooten's techniques.. and and Bill Dickens came along!! if anyone could give me advice on Bill the Buddha's style and technique that i might be able to work on..

Last time i posted up a thread having some questions on Victor Wooten's styles everyone was
    so~~ nice and supportive. People like me living in overseas where i cannot catch a lot of good shows..(i'm korean, i live in south Korea) i would
    have to rely on the internet to find answers for these questions..^^
    welll....god bless this awesome site~~!!!;)

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    bill has a couple instructional bass videos....yes, he's a beast...even after having taken several years off from playing bass to do some producing and stuff...really cool guy, too he answers his email ;)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    His four videos are the best way I've found of hearing his music. His newer "Funk Bass" video in particular shows a lot of the techniques he uses (all for slap, BTW). Basically, he uses a lot of left-to-right hand rhythmic movements to facilitate faster playing. He also uses, at most times anyway, all the fingers on his plucking hand to play faster and reduce hand strain. The greatest thing about them is watching what he looked like in the old ones and what he looks like now....definitely a change for the better. There are sound clips at video streams of him at www.billthebuddhadickens.com, but the streams take forever to download.

4. Buddha's such a beast. I don't even touch his style!:)

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    His pointless 64th note ghost slaps just want to make me puke - especially when he can't play them a tempo. Other than that, yes, he is a beast.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Speaking of his old videos. I don't know if the new ones are any better but his teaching was horrible on the old ones. He just bumbles around a lot, does something fast, does it slow, and then tells some story about when he was in high school. It's kind of funny.

Ah, those old videos...Wooten has some funny/cheesy moments in his first video too.

brad cook

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got both sets, and he's definitely less of a bumbling goofball in the newer ones. Of course, that might be because drummer Bobby Rock is right there the whole time asking him specific questions and guiding him along.