Bill Dickens Whammy effect - what the hey is that???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jul 16, 2004.

1. I just got the Dicken's DVD version of his two videos, and I have to admit it's really good, and I've definitely revised my position on Bill as a bassist - <b>the guy's unbelievably awesome!</b>

But, as some of you will know, he uses a really cool Whammy effect, that sounds like he is splitting the channel between the sound he gets from the bass and the whammy up and octave, but it also sounds like there is some kind of very quick delay effect on this to, so he's getting the line he slaps, plus one an octave higher - it almost seems like he has the lower strings of the bass on one channel and the higher strings on another - so he gets that wild normal bass/whammy-crossover effect - that when he goes super-fast just sounds nuts.

I know it's really OTT, but I'm sucker for that stuff in small doses, plus what he does sounds really cool on a groove as well - I'd love to know what he's using - c'mon Bhudda fans let's hear what y'all have to say...!

Hella cheers and have a great weekend too!!!

2. well, i am no bill dickens expert, but you've probably got his setup right. my best guess would be that since i noticed 4 cabs and two amps, i am saying he is doing what tim commerford of audioslave does. he probably has one amp and cab(s) for a clean sound, and at the same time has the other amp and cab(s) effected. you mentioned delay, he has probably put a delay pedal in the chain on the effected stack. unless of course you were asking about what exact type of effect, like a digitech whammy or boss pitchshifter, i couldn't tell you that!

of course, like i said, i no pretty much nothing about dickens, other than he can play extremely fast!

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know what he uses but an Akai Unibass will do that just fine.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bill endorses and has appeared in adverts for the Morley Dual Bass Wah -
  5. Cool Dave - I'll check em out