Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill DIckens

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by boofis, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Hey
    Can anyone describe the techniques bill dickens uses. I know the triplets and percussive but how to put them into a run?
    Thanks
    Troy

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He has a webs site. Check there, but I don't think anybody can play exactly like him.

Everyone who knows him says that he is a great player, but all I hear and see is the same boring "over the top" stuff in every clip.

3. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    I think you might listen a bit to what others say regarding his playing abilities or substitute your comment 'over the top' for 'over your head'.That said,stay cool.Fallon.www.7dd.co.uk/~fallon

4. yeah, I know he has a website I'm a member there. OF course noone can play exatly like him, hes bill dickens. I was just wondering how to incorporate the techniques he uses into m playing. And hes not over the top to me, he hasd sick chops!
    hanks
    Troy

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Nope I don't, I understand the techniques, I just dislike the music made with them. I used to know how to double thump, (granted not as fast as Dickens) but I realized that wasn't how I wanted to play. I care more about melody than playing the musical ecquivalent of saying "look at me". Not that I dislike technical playing, I just like it to contain a shred of melody.

As far as working his techniques into your playing. I would create a basic slap line and then add bursts of double thumps and pops. Start slow and speed up.

If you are having trouble getting double thumping down, practice scales, favorite riffs, etc. with double thumping until you feel comfortable.

By the way, I live in Mississippi where it is a real feat to stay cool in the Summer. :D

How about take it easy.
    Adam Barkley

6. He doesn't double thump extensively to make his sound. He uses percussives like triplets and paradiddles etc. Thats fine if you like melodic soloing, hes not saying look at me hes saying this is my style, you've got your own!
    Thanks
    Troy

7. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    "but I realized that wasn't how I wanted to play. I care more about melody than playing the musical ecquivalent of saying "look at me". Not that I dislike technical playing, I just like it to contain a shred of melody"
    I think some people far too readily become confused on hearing a technique which is beyond their own ability.They toil or struggle to interpret what they hear into something quantifiable.To most people,again on encountering a superior player,the very predictable response (globally) is usually an ego-boost related deduction,i.e. "look at me".People should live and let live without derogatory comments.Bill Dickens,if one cares to take the time to listen,*can also play melodically*.He can slow down,but can you speed up? ;-)
    Stay cool(wherever you are) Fallon.
    www.7dd.co.uk/~fallon