Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Dickens

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ok, this might sounds as a fairly aggressive question.

Did the guy ever play anything tasteful and if so, would you please point me toward the record ?

He's got chops and he's happy to show them around. That's cool. I too can appreciate mindblowing lines long as it serves the purpose of the song.
    Problem is, each and everytime he starts soloing, it sounds to me like he ruins the tune with random wanking.

Many a great player rants about Buddha dude, so I guess I must be missing something. This is NOT an ironical/mocking/trolling thread. I'm just being honest. Thanks for not flaming my rear end.

2. the only BD recording that i've ever heard was a from a post off here, where BD plays a nice 13 minute solo (i wish i could find it!) anyways, it was actually really nice for the first 4-5 minutes, where he does some cool chords and stuff like that...but the next 8-9 minutes are all of his speed playing, which is cool, but gets a little tedious at times...

Charlie

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think his bread & butter is in producing and songwriting as I understand it. I too would like to hear some 'regular' playin'!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm sure he played a great deal of tasteful stuff on the road with barry manilow or ramsey lewis. i don't think you'd get those gigs if you couldn't. :eyebrow:

5. Jazz Ad

Mmmhh. Barry Manilow ? Yeah I guess it's true then.
    I mean, who could argue with Barry Manilow ?

6. a couple of years ago Conklin put out a demo CD of some of the players who use their axes. Bill had 4 or 5 tunes on it and 3 were nothing but melodic. one was a solo rendition of "Round Midnight" while the others dipped into different genres.

I've heard him play slow melodic stuff and do straight groove with none of the flash. Bill's a bad man, but he was a teacher for a long time. his fundamentals are solid!

from the lows,

Stew

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you may not like his music or his work, but if bill dickens was unable to hold a groove or play the proper role as you were wondering he wouldn't have had the gig.

after all, you said you were honestly curious.

8. Jazz Ad

Agreed. Point taken.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Will Lee cites Barry Manilow for giving him a big head start in the N.Y. studio scene. Say what you want about Barry Manilow.......but he gave us Will :cool:

Oh Mandy :bag: :D :D :D

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    and to add to this I saw him with Glady's Knight and he didn't do anything but grooved his ass off.He alsso has done some things in the Gospel music genre' with and artist by the name of Walt Witmann

11. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    He played in a fusion band from Chicago called Proteus that had Sergio Nespola on drums and Ollie Riessa on guitar. The stuff was along the lines of Return To Forever and he absolutely killed on an unlined Fender fretless Precision. Absolutely tasteful and absolutely grooving. He also played on a few albums with the Ramsey Lewis Trio. If you want to hear the real Bill Dickens you've got to check these out. Lots of luck finding the Proteus album but the Ramsey Lewis stuff should be available.

He is a monster musician that unfortunately is misrepresented by the over the top wankery at trade shows and on the instruction video's. They do not even hint at his actual musicianship and musicality.

In my opinion there must be a reason Victor Wooten is really impressed with him and I'll bet it's not just because of his thunder thumbs.

12. Great post, Bassart. I totally agree. If you're gonna play with Ramsey you have to know how to groove and have over-the-top musicality. If you didn't, you wouldn't be there, period.

13. Jazz Ad

So any album you guys would recommend ?
    I'm pretty much open to any style but Barry Manilow might be a bit too hardcore for me.

14. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Walt Whitman and the Soul Children of Chicago. the album is called Growing up. Not a solo or wank in sight. Just solid groove and tasteful fills. I don't think he even slaps on this whole disc. It is in the Gospel section. B Easy

Myron

15. Jazz Ad

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    he writes the songs, he writes the songs....

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    His name was Yoda, he was a Muppet...

I can't hear that song without Weird Al's version taking over. ;)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Weird Al didn't parody the Manilow song-he parodied Lola by the Kinks, a lovely song about mistaken love for a transvestite.

19. peterjc

peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    netherlands
    who is barry manilow? and who is lola? am I missing something?

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He is the rockin'est rockstar who ever lived, and Lola was a girl he sang about in the second rockin'est song of all time. The rockin'est, of course, was "Mandy."