Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bill Dickens?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ASR, Apr 9, 2001.

1. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I hear a lot of members mentioning Jaco, Flea, Fieldy, etc. Has anyone heard of Bill Dickens? Forgive my ignorance if I'm just behind the times or something here. I am just starting to explore the bass beyond just following the guitar. I guess that comes from playing guitar for so long. I picked up a video this weekend and the guy is phenomenal.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He can funkify the grease off of bacon. He just doesn't get a lot of ink/video because he doesn't wear a ball cap backwards and jump 6 feet into the air while he plays one note ostinatos.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I read about him in an old BP, and Victor Wooten did everything but say his ass was made of gold. I've only heard one of his bass solos, which was AMAZING, the man can play with a capital wow. He plays a NINE string, and gets bonus points for being able to stand up with it.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And he seems to be a really sweet person, judging from the video.
    I got the 'Bass Beyond Limits' video and can't wait to get the other one. Only bummer is that it's only 45 mins...
    THIS GUY CAN RIP!!!

I can only watch this with a pillow in front of me, or else....

:eek:
    [​IMG]

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  6. Bill Dickens is amazing. I think the cat's got bionic fingers or something. First time I heard him, my jaw hit the floor and lay there for a while. BD is definitely on my "elite" list.

7. [​IMG]

This is one of Bill Dickens' basses, it is for sale at www.basspalace.com I got about 6 inches away from it and then realized the sounds I have heard Bill play...I decided that I better not touch the thing, I could not do it justice......I found a solo by him that is absolutely insane....I only dream of playing like that....:D

8. Thanks for the link Pacman

Jeez he really can play can't he....I'm sitting here at work with a big sh#t eating grin on my face :)

Thanks again

Dean

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    question: do guys like this ever make you want to say "f**k it, why bother?"

just wondering....

10. I speak for myself when I say, honestly, no. If anything, it makes me say "THIS is why I bother".

11. Yeah I'm with Xavier on this one - I'm itching to get home to pick up my bass even though I don't have a snowballs chance in hell of playing like that myself - I find that hearing guys like that who can REALLY REALLY play fires me up.

It'd be a dull old world if you sat there thinking to yourself 'yeah i can play that....'

Cheers

Dean

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Bill Dickens is definitely one of the main reasons I practice instead of being complacent. that guy blew my mind. Ever hear the bass solo on Snap Crackle and pop? cd by bobby rock and Neil zaza feat. Bill "the Buddha" Dickens? Amazing. See his bass at http://www.conklinguitars.com

13. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the link, Pacman. I picked up the Bass Beyond Limits video, too, and I didn't even touch my bass. I just kept rewinding it to hear that introduction over and over again.

People like that must have some kind of natural talent that I don't have, so I don't think I could be able to play like the Buddha no matter how much I practice, but as long as I am trying, I think I can get close. So it doesn't make me feel like I shouldn't bother. It does the opposite. Makes me work for it more and more.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

His pricey instructional video, "Funk Bass and Beyond," gives good insight into the drum-bass relationship and shows what a whupass bassist he is, (among other things); www.bassplace.com/video.html

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There have been a few mentions/threads in the "Bassists" forum - which is maybe where this thread belongs? ;)

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Urrrr......indeed! :D

....by the way, anyone notice that Bruce's face appears to resemble highly the headstock of a Tobias bass??? ;)

17. Nah! It's just the camera angle that makes his ears (all 5 of them) resemble tuners!

.. and now, I must jump into my foxhole.

18. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry about that. I'll be sure to pick up the "Categorizing for Dummies" book on the way home tonight.

Does Bill have any CD's that could be found at a local music store? I went last night but didn't see anything. I figure maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Just make sure you don't land on me, ok?? :D

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA