1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Evans-The Creative Process and Self-teaching

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by dbass87, May 16, 2011.

1. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
  2. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I've had this on VHS for many years, and how odd that you would highlight that quote--it's one of my very favorites and I've been thinking about it all week!

The whole video is nice. He is being interviewed by his brother and breaks down the tune "Star Eyes." The intro is by Steve Allen. It used to be available on Rhapsody Films.

--Steve

3. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    That is interesting! I just saw it for the first time today and thought it was cool the way he spoke his philosophy. And that quote really stuck out to me because I feel that I sometimes try to "approximate" like he said instead of just taking it a step at a time, starting simple and building from there.

4. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    People used to LOVE cigarettes, amen? Weirds me out.

Anybody seen that great video where the trio is playing for some rich-looking people in a nice house? Nice little interview. Eddie Gomez always seems like he's such a tough guy, even though he's soft-spoken.

5. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, I saw it recently. It was from 1970 and done by Finnish television. Bill looks like he just rolled out of bed with a messed up collar, etc.

Yeah, and the smoking! Just like an episode of Mad Men. I do have a fondness for that time period, but it would be hard to deal with all the smoking!

--Steve

6. Wow, both those videos are incredible! Thanks for posting them.

7. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    My pleasure. Really cool to get insight that still applies to this day, that was said so far back...

8. i woke up this morning, sat down with a coffee, and this was the first thing i stumbled across. what a great way to start the day. a true genius.