1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Fitzmaurice bass cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Craig, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Ran across this gentlemans website and his designs are interesting. Any do-it yourselfer's have any experience building some his designs. And if so, the obvious...how do they sound? Thanks!

Tim Craig

2. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    :ninja: Hmmmm... What would Mr. Fitzmaurice say?

3. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    Tim, there's many threads here on Bill and his designs, and Bill himself is a frequent contributor here. I have recently built an Omni15TB with a pair of Delta 12LFA's. In a word it sounds incredible. I thought I had a pretty decent tone using those Deltas in a pair of vented cabs.. The Omni blows 'em away.. No need for PA reinforcement.. Take some time and run through the forum on Bill's site, A lot of questions answered, and a lot of testimonials..

4. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I know he is on this board frequently and his posts are very informative and he seems very well respected. I am happy to see your question because I too would like to hear some reviews of the cabs from folks who are using them before I have someone build one for me. (I suck at woodworking!)

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This thread might be fun for you:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310402

My Omni10 is pictured in my avatar (along with a bass and a dog). It's a completely kick-arse cabinet. I'm going to build an Omni10.5 to go with it (mostly to have something super-easy to take to rehearsals and recording sessions).

Put it this way - I'm done shopping for cabinets. D-O-N-E. Had this for a year now, and I don't GAS for anything different.

6. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Interesting...very interesting. I live in the Nashville TN area and there is a local shop called Southbound Guitars. They do custom instrument repair, painting, building and have a CNC. They build some extremely nice speakers for live and sound reinforcement applications. They can do the carpet or spray on finish. I'm going to buy some plans (at $15.00 what can I loose?) and see what these guys would build one of these cabs for. Thanks for all the feedback!

Tim

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure he'd love being called a "gentleman".:p

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I advise against using sources that are used to building 'traditional' cabs. My designs don't use the same materials, construction methods or even the same adhesives. When faced with doing my cabs per the plans instructions or 'the way we've always done it, because we know what we're doing' the latter choice usually ends up with an inferior result even compared to that of complete newbies who take their time and follow the plans.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I talked to Leland at speakerhardware.com not too long ago and his prices on custom builds are extremely reasonable. Definitely the way I would go.

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I have heard that Home Depot (and other lumber yards) will cut materials to spec.

Anybody try this with good results for home speaker builds?

11. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    I too have built the Omni 10 (now replaced by the jack), and Its everything everyone says it is! Just be prepared to do some trouble shooting when your done (finding leaks or rattles). Follow the plans and they are rewarding and very affordable to build.