Bill Fitzmaurice Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Apr 7, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, I've been looking into building a Bill Fitzmaurice cabinet, as the low cost and amazing reviews has really intrigued me. Now, by all accounts these things are amazingly loud in an amazingly small package, but my question is this:

Despite the immense volume, what is the sound quality like?

My concern is that I might be able to build a setup (likely 2 cabs) that will be smaller and more manageable than my current 8x10, but I fear that the tone will be sacrificed for the sake of volume.

Are my fears founded at all? Or do these cabs sound loud AND good? Obviously, 'good' is a very subjective term, but let your own opinion come through on this one if you will.

Also, I've read that the Tuba24 is the cabinet designed to work with a bass guitar. Is that the cabinet I should be looking at, or are there models that are better suited for the task of amplifying a 4-string bass (usually tuned down a half step, occasionally drop-d minus a half step), and being used in conjunction with a 600 watt (@ 4 ohms) amp?

Bill, I know that you read this forum, and any insight you have would be much appreciated as well. Thanks in advance everybody. :)
  2. I'm not familiar with The Bill F. cabs, but they sound pretty awesome. I understand your concern. I had an Epifani 410, pre ultralight, and it was incredibly loud, hi-fi, clean, and I loved didn't do lower volumes well. All of the juicy tone would be gone if I wasn't pumping a ton of volume into it. I sold it and bought an Avatar 212 and I believe I have the best of both worlds now. Could you post a web address so I could check out the cabs? Is there a trial period with these cabs?
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bill lives fairly close to me and I plan on heading up his way soon. The idea is very sound and I'm curious why more people havn't done this already.
  4. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA

since you have to build it yourself... no :smug:

which - selling speaker plans online?
    Or designing folded horn cabs?

Bill's addressed the latter point before, either here or on the forums
    on his site, I forget. Basically,
    folded horn cabs are a LOT more time-consuming (i.e. expensive)
    to build than your average front-loaded ported cab , and there's very little economic incentive for cab makers to buck the marketplace trends.

Hmm, but I would think the expense would be somewhat offset
    by needing fewer drivers. One 10" woofer is a lot cheaper than four. shrug.
  5. I've never heard one in real life but the full range cabs he has describe in AudioXpress article showed a pretty flat response full range for the DR's.He has used a couple of different tweeters, mostly piezos, so you could experiment with others, like the Peerless or a compression horn. good sound is pretty subjective though.

The Tubas are really designed as subwoofers and don't have high frequency response to speak of. The idea is to pair a tuba 24 (or whichever) with a full range box. I think that would be a good option for your application

And check out, where Bill has published a numbe of articles on folded horn cabinets.
  6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    The recommended combo is the DR250a and Tuba 24, crossed over at 100Hz. EQ is required for flat response on the DR250a. It sounds phenomonal at any level, no need to crank them up.

The 250a can be built with port tubes that extend its LF cutoff to 50Hz, making it a viable single-box solution. Once heard with the Tuba24, it'd be hard to go without, though. Mine is built that way, and I plug the ports for use with the Tuba. Bill does this as well.

For the record, I have the PAudio Neo 10" in the 250a, and just the Eminence Beta10 in the Tuba24.
  7. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Perfect! I'm waiting for a response from Bill (contacted via his website) but I think the DR250a and Tuba24 will be what I go for.
  8. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I have considered these very seriously, however there are no builders in my area, and I'm pretty sure I lack the tooling and woodworking skills to pull these off correctly.... :(

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, after a very quick email response from Bill, I've decided to buy plans for the DR250a and the Tuba24. If all goes as planned, I'll head back to my hometown and have my stepdad (licensed contracter/builder) help me construct them, since he has all the required tools and building knowledge to make sure these things get built properly, probably around May 14th or so. Should be a lot of fun, and I really hope they live up to what people say about them. I'll keep talkbass posted as to how they worked out.
  10. From what I've read, the basic tooling set is table saw, clamps, industrial hot glue gun, clamps, a drill with a philips bit, more clamps, a couple of jigs for the bracing inside anc cutting panels, and a few more clamps. That should do it. :)

Bill, if you're out there, do you know what issue of AX your article on building a panel cutting jig is in? Thanks.
  11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Too long ago to remember. I had a lot of interest in it so I decided to put it on the site at a cost that barely breaks even with the expense of having it there.
  12. Cool, I'll check it out.
  13. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    Bill, perhaps I should ask in the forum on your website, but since it is very bass guitar related, I might as well ask here. I have recently moved to much smaller cabs in my bass rig, since I usually don't need the oomph of a larger rig, but occasionally I miss some extra low end extension. Do you think a Tuba 18 would make sense to add to a small "regular" ported cab? Just to add some bottom end to a bass rig, or is it just not efficient or low enough for that purpose? I would consider using it as a home sub, and occasionally bring it to a gig if I want some extra low end extension.

I have considered DR250a and Tuba 24, but right now the T24 is just too big for me, while I think I lack sufficient skills and tools (and time) to start with a DR250a.

(I play regular 4 string bass, no 5/6/7 string extreme lows, but then again I do like to "feel" that E string move some air)
  14. JonB

May 27, 2003
    The cabs are loud, that's for sure. I built one years ago. It uses a single 10" and 3 piezo horns. Maybe it was called a DR10? The plans were in Audio Express.
    It's unbelievable how much volume per watt you get. I took it outside and was able to get the sides shaking with only 100 watts.
    I was trying to use it for upright bass, but it was too boomy and slow for that application. Might work well with slab.
    It certainly was an interesting experiment, though.
  15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The T18 is really a home theatre sub and has to be next to a wall or in a corner to work properly.

Post your question at

and tell us what you have for cabs now and either myself or one of the other guys there can give you a recommendation.
  16. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    Thanks Bill, going there right now :)

BTW, my current cabs are a Hevos Midget and Hevos Midget Plus. Both are small single 10" ported designs (about 30lbs each). The "Plus" has a tweeter. For their size, these cabs are pretty loud. They are also pretty "flat" for a bass cab, perhaps that is what one would call hifi. Fretless sounds very nice on these. Still have to see what they do for plain music playback. I wouldn't be surprised if they would do a lot better than the average bass cab.